Here's mine:
IMG_0637 2.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-mixed-reef-tank-in-the-woods.317105/
I bought 2 bags of dry Fiji Pink sand 40lbs, 2 boxes of dry rock in 40lbs boxes, one bag of crushed coral live rock all from Amazon. Amazon had the best prices. It was enough to setup my 90 gal tank with a bit of the dry sand left over. Worked pretty well. It took 21 days for the tank to cycle after putting in one of the large bottles of Bio Spira to get the ammonia eating bacteria kick started.

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-mixed-reef-tank-in-the-woods.317105/
I bought 2 bags of dry Fiji Pink sand 40lbs, 2 boxes of dry rock in 40lbs boxes, one bag of crushed coral live rock all from Amazon. Amazon had the best prices. It was enough to setup my 90 gal tank with a bit of the dry sand left over. Worked pretty well. It took 21 days for the tank to cycle after putting in one of the large bottles of Bio Spira to get the ammonia eating bacteria kick started.

What about for putting the rocks together? I'm not sure whether to use zip ties, silicone, the reef puddy, or acrylic rocks. I want to be able to move he formation if I get bored. I was leaning towards zip ties. Any thoughts?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together the tall tower structure out of several pieces of dry rock. Rinsed the rock, dried the rock in the sun, hammer and concrete chisel to break the rock into desired pieces. Then I used "Apoxie Sculpt Epoxy Clay - Natural by Aves" and super glue gel and Bob Smith's accelerator to build the structure. The rest of the tank is mostly just stacked with a few pieces epoxy, glued on to get the shapes I wanted. I was surprised how well and how much fun it was to build the structures. Worked best if first squirted a bit of super glue on to the rock; then pushed in the epoxy as needed as a space filler; more super glue on the other piece being attached; and then squirt a spray of BS accelerator onto the glue/epoxy. It sets up hard and very fast. I was amazed.

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After so many trial and errors (leaking bulkheads, leaking overflow, bought the wrong power heads with no controller, noisy lights which were fixed by removing the fan guard) and about 4 weeks of cycling I think I’m finally close to putting in some livestock, I’m just waiting on the temperature to rise I am at about 79 as of this morning.

cba8af7029688f5edbd8aafa89911bcf.heic

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys feel like giving some advice? Kind of want to know what i am doing wrong, can improve, and should never do!

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow and enjoy the process...Research in detail before you add or change things....Oh and did I mention go slow....

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice is definitely take it slow as stated above, don't panic when you see algae growing, it's natural and will go away eventually. What were your plans for livestock? Have you done much research in that department? And to further That, were you planning on any type of QT setup?

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So I think I made a couple of mistakes so far and have been rushing a little. I have a 75g.

Here is what’s going on. Water levels have been steady for about 2 months now. In regards to fish I have two clowns and two cromies. I also have a fire shrimp, some small snails and one giant slug that has been eating all the algae. I had an outbreak of brown algae about a month ago, that’s when I got all the snails and slug, and have been cleaning it ever since. I freaked out at first but got it under control.

In regard to corals I have the following: frogspawn (started 3 heads, I have 6 now and keeps breaking into new heads); i have the candy cane coral (seems bigger than when I first got it); Maximus clam (wife wanted it and as the saying goes, happy wife happy life, but I am aware of its difficulty and have been stressing like crazy, but it seems it’s attached, open, and I thin healthy); I have a rock with Zoas and mushrooms which keep growing and zoas expanding into different places, I have a rock with just zoas which is almost fully covered (at first it was a bit opaque but now they are very colorful, growing, and open) I have a fire and ice zoa too which seems to be growing on the frag rack; I also have an acan which started with two and now it has a 3 one growing on the side. Then I have one which I don’t know the name, but that one is worrying me bc it looks a little odd at the moment. I also bought a blue something last weekend and it’s slowly opening up, it looks like zoas a little but they are non-photosynthetic. I also have another coral which i have no idea what it is (I should know but I don’t)

As you guys can see I went a little fast :/

My questions comes into the feeding, what’s better, currently I’m feeding them bri shrimp cubes, but is there something better, easier, and healthier?

In regards to placement of the coral, I have been kind of guessing where to place them based on growth, opening, and current. I know the zoas like to be at the bottom of the tank and they have been thriving, but my fire and ice are on top of the tank and have also been growing, not as fast but I don’t know if it’s bc of the location or bc of the type of zoa. I am running two Hd 26s on a 6 hour schedule (I can put the schedule if anyone is interested).

I am also running two eflux powerheads on stream mode with the 1050 eflux pump at 100 percent all day. I reduce it to about 20-30 for feeding and put the powerhead on feeding mode. How can I improve here?

In the sump I have bio cube rocks, a carbon thing, and the skimmer is on all day A5 curve at about medium to high.

I am constantly replacing evaporated water with RODI water and 10 gallon water changes every week.

Here are some pictures from Saturday night, any advice on placement, care, growth, equipment, or anything that will help me improve would be great. Note: I have not started he refugium yet, I plan on doing it soon, hopefully this week (advice there will also be great).

cc9f2ea718975a5d421629521186fea0.heic
87e764a02217f13b6f80bf65897201c1.heic
4f67bd1bb78314c6f0b71bd390783b02.heic
da863d64ebeb35fa2d644d409c46ba1e.heic
771ec9b247f14d036fdf83110910f5a8.heic
531fd0964518311e853f9ab3792de648.heic
fe82d616a0f2c7a54ef03dab87d969dc.heic
16088a9f9bed2219d79dc99f676d152d.heic

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish like humans thrive on a varied diet, I feed my clowns frozen, brine, spirunela (probably spelt wrong) And blood worms along with fauna Marin ultra pellets for clowns. Not sure what your cromies would be in to but I'm sure a similar diet will work as well. Some will feed fresh food also but my clowns at least seem happy with what they are getting now:)

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish like humans thrive on a varied diet, I feed my clowns frozen, brine, spirunela (probably spelt wrong) And blood worms along with fauna Marin ultra pellets for clowns. Not sure what your cromies would be in to but I'm sure a similar diet will work as well. Some will feed fresh food also but my clowns at least seem happy with what they are getting now:)

Thank you! The cromies go nuts for the frozen brine cubes. I will look into the pellets for the clown and supplement their diet with them and see how they respond, my biggest fear is I’m starving them to death.

atx100r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you should vary foid...i feed Mysis, calanus, and eggs...i cut a piece off eachcu e every say and feed...when I go away I feed thera +A and nutridiet marine plus mixed in an auto feeder ....tank looks good....

OP
OP
N

Nicodc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I think this my blue gonipora has slime disease, did I diagnose it correctly?
bba9c81a451fc9f0dacef6428069fd74.heic

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 100 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back