Drilling Norwesco deposits help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a couple of 50 gallon Norwesco type rounded deposits for my saltwater mixing station and would love to know if in your tanks you have used bulkheads or Uniseals? Given the rounded shape I am concerned that the bulkhead will work but at the same time have heard a lot of people saying they have used bulkheads with no issues.

What route did you guys go?

Thanks!

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far... I am really concerned with using unseals as I have never used them in the past. I was hopping that someone would pop up having used bulkheads as well. But I guess Uniseal is the way to go given the feedback I am getting in this post and others as well. My reefing days maybe over if I dump 100 gallons of water to the floor of the laundry room as the one that shall not be named would likely be quite upset

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads will only work of they are on a flat surface. If you drill the bottom of the container, you might be able to use them. If you were thinking the side, then Uniseal are your best choice

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback so far... I am really concerned with using unseals as I have never used them in the past. I was hopping that someone would pop up having used bulkheads as well. But I guess Uniseal is the way to go given the feedback I am getting in this post and others as well. My reefing days maybe over if I dump 100 gallons of water to the floor of the laundry room as the one that shall not be named would likely be quite upset

We've been using Uniseals on all of our water containers with curved surfaces for years now without issue. They're really the best tool for the job if you don't have a flat surface. If you haven't installed a Uniseal before, check out Randy's how-to video :D

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been using Uniseals on all of our water containers with curved surfaces for years now without issue. They're really the best tool for the job if you don't have a flat surface. If you haven't installed a Uniseal before, check out Randy's how-to video :D

Thanks for the reply! What would the reefing world be without BRS !!!

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One follow up question if I may: what would you use to clean the inside of brand new containers? I am concerned about oils or chemicals from the manufacturing process but given the height of the barrels I will not be able to hand clean the inside walls. Fill the things with tap and add bleach? Make some citric acid solution and spray the insides with that? What would you do?

Thanks!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One follow up question if I may: what would you use to clean the inside of brand new containers? I am concerned about oils or chemicals from the manufacturing process but given the height of the barrels I will not be able to hand clean the inside walls. Fill the things with tap and add bleach? Make some citric acid solution and spray the insides with that? What would you do?

Thanks!

We normally use citric acid to clean our mixing containers. That plus a little flow from your mixing pump should do the trick, especially if the container is new.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We normally use citric acid to clean our mixing containers. That plus a little flow from your mixing pump should do the trick, especially if the container is new.
Sorry for the follow up but what concentration do you use your citric acid at? I tend to use 5% (5% citric acid powder to 95% water). Thanks again!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, we suggest 3/4 cups per 1 gallon of water, but for our larger mixing containers, we use much less due to the volume and just let the recirculating pump run a little longer. Usually it's just one of our large 6 lb containers for our 250 gallon mixing station. Given that we use the Tropic Marin salt here at the BRS office, there really isn't too much of that brown gunk in the first place.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, we suggest 3/4 cups per 1 gallon of water, but for our larger mixing containers, we use much less due to the volume and just let the recirculating pump run a little longer. Usually it's just one of our large 6 lb containers for our 250 gallon mixing station. Given that we use the Tropic Marin salt here at the BRS office, there really isn't too much of that brown gunk in the first place.
Thanks. I use the same salt so not too worried. Just worried about the inicial potential Oils that could exist due to the production of the barrels... maybe just being paranoid

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back