Drink Poured into Aquarium

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 28g Nano reef that’s been set up for a while, and I got home from work just now to find it cloudy...

My roommates and I hosted a party last night... I didn’t stay for the entire thing, since I was watching my parents’ dogs at their house. Anyways, here’s what it currently looks like.

BEE96C8C-E698-4C71-8C15-870C91BD8A37.jpeg

It’s more cloudy in person than in the picture. 99.9% sure someone poured something in after I left yesterday... what should I do? Corals seem to be doing well, and I don’t have any fish. Main inverts include serpent star and coral banded shrimp. Will water changes over the next week or two sort this out? Or should I remove as many inhabitants as I can?

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change for sure. Everything seems to be looking good. Next time set up an invisible electric fence.

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would REAM out out your roommate. No issues throwing a party but his friends need to respect other peoples property.

When we were dating a friend of my wife came over during a party and I had a sign on the tank stand not to rest any drinks there. For the first few hours this jerkface and his girl continually rested their cups on the tank stand and once on the rim.

Each time I took their drinks and poured it down the drain. After the 4th time he caught me in the act of removing the drinks and caught an attitude. His girl caught one too and his comment was

"Im just trying to give your fish a little drink man." "Its just stupid fish" - You could hear a pin drop in the room..

What sealed the deal was that he motioned to pretend pour drink into my reef.

"My best friend would tell me later that I went Super Saiyan and my eyes went red." The obscenities that came out of my mouth stunned the room and the end result is that I kicked him and her out.

It was WEEKS before there was another event at his house this time and I went prepared. See he had a 4,000 dollar dog that he gave his girlfriend and was very proud of that fact. I picked up some chocolate looking treats and went over there and proceeded to feed it in full view. He lit up like a christmas tree to what seemed like me feeding chocolate to his dog. Que the what the heck are you doing your going to kill my DOG.... to which i replied "But i'm just trying to give him a little treat like you did my fish"

Then I left of my own accord. Not before telling one of the party goers to tell him that they were harmless doggie treats and the only side effect they would have is good bone and canine teeth health.

I received an email a few days later with "Touche'" as the subject and body of the email. That dude was best man at my wedding and that dog passed away last year of natural causes.

Run carbon... it looks alright. :)

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^great story. My girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to feed my fish one day and I had two aqua illumination Vegas when they were the new light on the market I think they were $600 each. She ended up knocking both light fixtures into the water frying the lights instantly. Luckily did not hard and fish or corals. Needless to say that’s the last time she has touched the tanks.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say if its been 12+hrs an no real sign of stress and just cloudy water it should be ok with just carbon and or water change. (probably was a drink added to system or something and now you have a nice bacterial bloom which isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing depending on setup)

Nice system btw!

OP
OP
NickNiz

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! These stories are great, and very well-written. :D I wish I had the light hood I could put on during parties, but unfortunately I bought the tank without it (saving $250) since I already have the Prime HD. Maybe I’ll get a piece of acrylic or even cardboard next time.

I ended up changing out 5 gallons yesterday and the water is looking a little clearer! The only death yesterday was a nassarius snail, but I’m not certain of the cause... my other nassarius snails and tiger conch seem to be doing fine. I’m going to do 5gal daily for a few days, most likely.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back