Dropped PVC cement in tank!

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My outtake piping sprung a leak, and looks like I forgot to glue it.... months down the road I pulled them apart and attempted to glue it back together with pvc cement after cleaning the surface but a drop of the PVC cement went into the tank water! It seems like some of it (hopefully all of it, doubtful though) stuck to the surface of the water and I was able to pull it out with my hands.. I’m going to watch the coral over the next couple of hours but if they really start to close up and become unhappy do I just do a massive water change? I’m assuming the PVC cement is harmful because it’s got all sorts of warning labels on it.. thanks guys.. afraid of a crash.. 80 Gal total volume

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep a lot of people have gotten small amounts in their water and all was fine.
You can run carbon just in case, but I highly doubt you will have an issue.
As for how long to run carbon, that is a big variable. If you have a reactor I would run it based on the pumps output and probably have it do at least 8-10 turn overs based on your tank size. If it's just bags dumped in the sump then it will take several days to have any effect.

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, threw some carbon in last night plan on taking it out today but no signs of any stress thankfully. Thanks guys!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back