Dropping PVC drain lines into sump versus attaching PVC drain lines into sump

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For setups where the tank is on top of a stand with the sump underneath in the stand:

I've seen sumps that have bulkheads (I guess) where the drain lines go in, and the size (eg. 1" versus 1.5") and number of these drain entry points is specified (eg. 1 - 3 "ports" for 1 - 3 drain lines).

I've also seen sumps where the PVC pipe just comes down and goes into the water in the sump- no need to attach it anywhere on the sump (presumably the pipe is properly supported elsewhere within the stand).

The later seems clearly to superior to me, for a variety of reasons (easier first of all - just get your pipe in the right compartment at the appropriate distance below the water line- rather than hitting the target of a bulkhead on the sump).

It seems safe to say all the COTS sumps use the bulkhead approach (or most all), where typically the DIY sumps don't seem to bother- the drains just drop into the appropriate chamber (often two chambers since typically the emergency goes somewhere it will make noise if water comes through it). Whether that is a valid observation or not, I'm wondering why this difference? Does it matter?

I'm likely to build my own sump, and regardless, I'd rather just run my lines to the sump, hitting the right return area in the sump, rather than precisely land on a return bulkhead/port. What am I missing though? It doesn't seem like a nitpick. The design difference seems rather striking to a newbie...

I've searched around and continue to do a lot of research in getting my first tank built/designed, but I haven't found a place where this is addressed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads add unnecessary expense ( they aren’t cheap at all) and make the drains nearly impossible to clean. Skip them!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you have an air gap where the water falls through the air in to the sump it will raise your PH naturaly and help keep it up near the mythical 8.2 , I run my sump this way for that reason. The whole bulkhead thing is for a more " finished" look but usually runs the water in below the water line to keep noise down .

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I just built my first sump and I just have one overflow pipe strapped to my stand. It ends just below the water level, and feeds into my filter cup in the first chamber. I didnt glue the last joint so I could remove it to get to the cup to change my floss. I also cut slashes into the last 3 inches above the water level in case the end gets clogged

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I used bulkheads for some of the drains on my DIY sump, mostly to prevent the drains from getting dislodged. Other ways to do that of course.

Back