Dry rock from disease tank

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed rock from a tank that had some disease in it maybe velvet. It's dry now for a couple of month. Can I use it to rubberband some food to it for my QT? If yes will it mess with my copper levels?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed rock from a tank that had some disease in it maybe velvet. It's dry now for a couple of month. Can I use it to rubberband some food to it for my QT? If yes will it mess with my copper levels?
If you're using it just to rubberband food I've used PVC instead. Rock will absorb copper and can throw the levels off.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to add it to my DT is it safe? Meaning it won't still have any disease present?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to add it to my DT is it safe? Meaning it won't still have any disease present?

I personally would give it all a bleach bath before using again.

2 months drying time should have killed any velvet, unless pockets of water remained inside the rock. I recently read an old study (compliments of @aykwm) which stated velvet was able to survive in filtered tap water.
:eek:

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ +1 totally agree, dont add LR to medicated tanks, it will probably do more harm than good. I also recommend bleaching, you can bleach it in a trash can for a week, then soak it in rodi water for another week, then you can consider it safe. Don't worry about bleach, the rodi will ensure the rest of the bleach turns to safe salts that can be removed with rodi at the end.

I honestly tried another approach and so far its working out although still under observation, fingers crossed. I live in Dubai, where now a days temperature reach way above 110-120 degrees. So I let my dry rocks dry under the sun for a week. By day one the LR looked dry from outside, but I let it run the whole week just to be sure. I also pressure washed it prior to drying to remove any contaminants stuck on surface, and then soaked it in boiling rodi and let it sit for few days just in case anything contaminated is left. I believe if you can provide a hot source where you will ensure water can evaporate and its hot enough that cysts will die then go for it, but if not and its stored in cool area then go with the bleach, its much safer option as some water might still be present deep in the rocks.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 months drying time should have killed any velvet, unless pockets of water remained inside the rock. I recently read an old study (compliments of @aykwm) which stated velvet was able to survive in filtered tap water.
Wouldn't having remaining velvet host free for 6 weeks (ie fallow period) kill them off even if it doesn't completely dry?

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think any dry rock you buy would also require this bleaching? Since you don't know where it came from.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think any dry rock you buy would also require this bleaching? Since you don't know where it came from.
If it was once LR, then better play it safe and bleach. Also I would recommend soaking it in water for at least two weeks with daily or frequent water changes as some LR might be soaked with copper or other medicines and the seller messed it up. Many horror stories from LR bought over craigslist or other similar sites.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes this was my thought. Theoretically it should be bone dry bbt who knows!

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light bulb just went off here. Just before I had a disease outbreak I did add some LR to my DT. Who knows I made have brought it in on that ! So many things to learn. Thank you.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't having remaining velvet host free for 6 weeks (ie fallow period) kill them off even if it doesn't completely dry?

You're right, the fallow period should have eradicated any leftover velvet if nothing else.

I guess I just really like bleaching dry rock before reusing it. :D So I know I'm getting a nice, clean slate.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, the fallow period should have eradicated any leftover velvet if nothing else.

I guess I just really like bleaching dry rock before reusing it. :D So I know I'm getting a nice, clean slate.
I definitely agree. I think I've had the neighbors pretty suspicious when I bust out the muriatic acid with chemistry goggles lol ;Doctor

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back