Dry Rock Pre-Cycle

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a new tank and put some dry rock into a trash can about 6 weeks ago. I have been running a heater and a pump and used some of this stuff along with Microbacter7:

I have also been putting my water change water in there from time to time. I have about 6 weeks left until i am ready to move it to the new tank and my question is how do i tell if this si truly cycled or not? My first thought is simply to see if there is nitrate/phosphate in the water?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s done, check this post out below. You may have phosphate leaching or all kinds of non cycling waits, but filtration ability is set for any tank that adds water an waits six weeks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you boosted bac for this wait interval. That tank there didn’t, and still passed. yours is done because the bac fed by natural systems, and the dosed ones and they got in even if you didn’t add them, by that time.

the specific proof test sequence using api is found in that top link, you have a way to prove it’s ready by that three picture ammonia sequence we used. It tunes api or red sea into not misreading. We use them to test just that small working range, then we know it’s done.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back