Dry rocks

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone on facebook is selling 5 dollar live rock , whats the process of making sure you dont introduce any bad things into your tank?
Throw the live rock in your tank and add corals and fish, or bleach the rock and wait until 2025 to add coral.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone on facebook is selling 5 dollar live rock , whats the process of making sure you dont introduce any bad things into your tank?
I suppose it’s almost impossible to do. Either you sanitize it by bleaching it and lose all life on it, or you keep it as is.

You could always give it a good inspection and shake. But that’s probably not going to do much.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not brs where would i get the lowest rate on dry rocks?

You just missed a deal at petco. 40 lb box for 34 bucks. Can always put email alert for the next sale. Amazon also has a few sellers that offer caribsea for reasonable price. Similar with saltwater aquarium dot com. Justlook around and set a price. You will find something that fits your budget.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it’s almost impossible to do. Either you sanitize it by bleaching it and lose all life on it, or you keep it as is.

You could always give it a good inspection and shake. But that’s probably not going to do much.
would a prolonged soak do anything, like a few weeks in ro or salt?

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from saltwater aquarium, under $2/lb. I'd recommend a soak in RO/salt for a while to help pull out all phosphates

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard good things about curing or cooking it. You store it in a brute trash can or something in complete dark for a while. I have never done it, but may be worth a try.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suggest going to your LFS right now and throw 10% in a Brute with a heater and powerhead. This will be your seed. This will auto cycle your tank allowing you to add fish and coral on day one. Don't add any bottled bacteria. You want to keep it in there for about 6 weeks. I would then buy some Marco Rock, thick super glue, and Marco mortar and create an aquascape. If the Brute is big enough, throw the scape in the Brute with it and set yourself up for success! If you are attempting to nickle and dime this is not the hobby for you.
20231224_150538.jpg
20231226_061201.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not brs where would i get the lowest rate on dry rocks?
It’s a major part of your tank biome. Why go through the process if you are not giving it the best chance of success? Get at least some live rock to populate the rest of the tank with healthy bacteria.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest going to your LFS right now and throw 10% in a Brute with a heater and powerhead. This will be your seed. This will auto cycle your tank allowing you to add fish and coral on day one. Don't add any bottled bacteria. You want to keep it in there for about 6 weeks. I would then buy some Marco Rock, thick super glue, and Marco mortar and create an aquascape. If the Brute is big enough, throw the scape in the Brute with it and set yourself up for success! If you are attempting to nickle and dime this is not the hobby for you.
20231224_150538.jpg
20231226_061201.jpg
my lfs is 25 dollars per pound for Bali live rock, would it be better to just order some live rock off online or in your method do you put dry rock in brute container?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my lfs is 25 dollars per pound for Bali live rock, would it be better to just order some live rock off online or in your method do you put dry rock in brute container?
Find another one with $5/#. It doesn't have to be fancy. I intend to pull my seed out once I have Coralline on the scape I built. LFS throw it on the scale wet so it's going to weigh twice as much. I'm not sure how big if a tank you have. If it's a 10gal you only need 1# live rock. If it's 1000gal I'd get about 50# liverock. I was successful with 5% live rock. The rock in that pic weighed about 3#. The scape I built weighed over 50#. I added coral on day one and they are doing great.
20240128_135754.jpg

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find another one with $5/#. It doesn't have to be fancy. I intend to pull my seed out once I have Coralline on the scape I built. LFS throw it on the scale wet so it's going to weigh twice as much. I'm not sure how big if a tank you have. If it's a 10gal you only need 1# live rock. If it's 1000gal I'd get about 50# liverock. I was successful with 5% live rock. The rock in that pic weighed about 3#. The scape I built weighed over 50#. I added coral on day one and they are doing great.
20240128_135754.jpg
I found on fb marketplace $5/#. Do you not glue the "seed"? I currently have no tank but im looking into the 60 gallon aqueeon rectangle

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That 60g will work. I'd search stock list for 40g breeder. Don't put any tangs or angels in there as it's much too short. You could create a beautiful scape and have a lot of sweet coral in it. One thing that I wish that I did was build my scape about 4" shorter. The tank in the pic is the aqueon 40g breeder. A couple of clowns a nem and a few Wrasse would look awesome in that tank. You would need a lid. I am using the aquamax Bullet 3 skimmer. It would be perfect for you if you don't plan to drill it out and use a sump. I also use a canister filter as a source of mechanical filtration, a carbon reactor, and I have a 40w UV plumbed through it.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 60g will work. I'd search stock list for 40g breeder. Don't put any tangs or angels in there as it's much too short. You could create a beautiful scape and have a lot of sweet coral in it. One thing that I wish that I did was build my scape about 4" shorter. The tank in the pic is the aqueon 40g breeder. A couple of clowns a nem and a few Wrasse would look awesome in that tank. You would need a lid. I am using the aquamax Bullet 3 skimmer. It would be perfect for you if you don't plan to drill it out and use a sump. I also use a canister filter as a source of mechanical filtration, a carbon reactor, and I have a 40w UV plumbed through it.
im probably gonna drill it out and use a sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back