Dry vs live rock for new tank?

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
One thing that seems to have changed since I was last in this hobby is the use of live vs dry rock and I’m really torn on what to choose for my tank setup. I scoped out some LFS and unfortunately most of the rock they had seemed to be full of aptasia already (boo). So if I go live rock I’ll go from somewhere online…but that’s also kind of risky because who knows what shapes I’ll potentially get.

Would love to get folks’ thoughts about live vs dry rock for a brand new tank setup.

Baby Thank You GIF

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
One thing that seems to have changed since I was last in this hobby is the use of live vs dry rock and I’m really torn on what to choose for my tank setup. I scoped out some LFS and unfortunately most of the rock they had seemed to be full of aptasia already (boo). So if I go live rock I’ll go from somewhere online…but that’s also kind of risky because who knows what shapes I’ll potentially get.

Would love to get folks’ thoughts about live vs dry rock for a brand new tank setup.

Baby Thank You GIF
I too had this question last year after 15 years out of the hobby. I went with a dry rock set up and while challenging in a different way, I was much much happier with the layout of my rock work. I still had all my old (now dead "live" rock) and used a hammer/chisel and went to town. It looks great, and now, 10 months later I am happy I went this route.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do a mix. For my next tank, I plan to budget ahead of time for 100% live rock shipped to me. Having a natural look is important to me. But for what it's worth, the last two tanks I've set up have had 1/3 - 1/2 live rock, and the rest dry and have done very well with the cycle time and diversity in the tank.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 % Live Rock here. I am lucky enough to have an LFS that gets the rock fresh, told them Sunday, Rock got picked Monday and Wednesday i had it in my tank. Came with all the Biodiversity you can think of. Even had a few corals on it(A leather, acans, rhodactis and some others i havent worked out yet.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock and the Marco cement to make rock fixtures first. Then I used a little live rock from Tampa bay to seed it. I highly recommend them! They have small packages that can be shipped via ups if, like me, you're not near an airport area. The sand is AMAZING! I bought a little package with premium rock and sand.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward will only do 100% ocean live rock. I'd rather a pile of rocks than a GHA garden. Kudos to those that manage dry rock/mixed without. I like a more natural look in any case and what looks better than a rock with sponges, macros, loads of coraline and even some naturally placed corals on it?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same live rock for many years .
I bought a few closing tanks just to get all the live rocks and used equipment
I have close to 500lbs of rocks which are no longer live but in my current system I would bet I have close to 200-250 lbs of rocks that
150 lbs of that was live from my previous 90 gal tank that was running for over 10 years .

if I had to start over I would budget for 100% live rock
I hate the look of the painted life rock

willpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started with ocean live rock in my sump (with kessil grow light) and dry rock up top this time and next time I would probably try a different route. There are good and bad hitchhikers in the rock (aptasia, cucumbers, crabs, algae). I was able to resolve the aptasia with rounds of berghia and a CBB. I ended up throwing out my ocean live rock about 9 months into the tank.

I am starting a new tank in a couple months and will start with dry rock and a few of the rocks I have in my current tank.

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Baby Thank You GIF
Following, as I'm also trying to decide between live vs dry. What tank are you getting?

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock and the Marco cement to make rock fixtures first. Then I used a little live rock from Tampa bay to seed it. I highly recommend them! They have small packages that can be shipped via ups if, like me, you're not near an airport area. The sand is AMAZING! I bought a little package with premium rock and sand.
I’m thinking I may do something similar. I really like the Marco rocks that are flat on the bottom to sit on the bottom of the tank. At the very least, I’ll probably snag a few of those to start with.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to brake down my 120 gal tank 3 months ago. Restarted with mixture of Marco Rock, Tampa Bay Rock and Aussie Live Rock.
Ugly stage was short and consisted only of some diatoms and a bit of green algae and it only effected dry rock. I already have Euphylia sprouting, mushrooms growing and montipora already showing growth pattern. Lots of pods and some sponges, tunicates on live rock. I strongly recommend Tampa Bay Rock.

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all dry rock in my new build. Allowed me better freedom to scape before placement. It isn't as pretty early on and I am only now after 5 months getting small dots of coraline, but I had 0 hitchhikers and nothing I have not added myself and that is wanted. For the long haul I personally feel this is a better route.

JPCommenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a coralife Biocube 32 gallon sitting in the box and I’m itching to get it out and started!! How about you?
Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 shipping as we speak. I'm looking forward to your progress, since we may be on similar timelines once you finally decide to get it out of the box! :grinning-squinting-face:

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with live rock you'll never be able to get the design exactly how you want it if that's your thing. if you like the natural look definitely live rock. if you want to cycle quickly and have a great biome also live rock. if you want best of both get some live rock to go in with the dry rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back