Seeding dry rock with live sand and live rock

BioActive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! In my last thread, I discussed my used live rock. I've decided that for my new tank, I want to create a HNSA (Habitat Negative Space Aquascape). From what I understand, using dry rock seems best for this. However, I'm hesitant to cycle the tank with bottled bacteria, as I've heard the strains aren't as robust as natural bacteria. My plan? Construct my aquascape with dry rock, and maybe mix in some broken pieces of live rock, or just use dry rock for the entire scape and rely on live rock in my sump for the bacteria. Regardless of the approach, I'm definitely using live sand. I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience with this!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but this is basically what I plan to do for my next tank. My current tank has mostly a pile of rounded boulders of various ages stacked against the back glass. I really want to do a planned aquascape for my next tank. My plan is to create it from dry rock, then add a few pieces of live rock, ceramic blocks, etc from a current tank and give it a couple months to seed the dry rock before turning on the lights etc. I'm tired of a pile of rocks that are always trying to tumble down.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, bagged "live sand" generally doesn't do much for you other than possibly provide an ammonia source (from the bacteria that's died).

I think investing in ocean harvested (maricultured) live rock and using it in any part of your system (display or sump, doesn't matter) is your best bet for adding the biodiversity you desire.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up an IM 40L AIO and went with a mix of dry and live rock. Some might argue necessary/not necessary, but I cured and cycled the dry rock in a covered bin for 6 weeks to get the initial nitrogen cycle complete. I added ammonium chloride and MicroBacter7 and let that do its thing. Once that rock was cycled, I started to assemble my new tank. Once all the hardware was dialed in, I placed an order with TBS Saltwater and ordered a Pico Treasure Chest. I got a mix of premium rock, base rock, and 3 pounds of live sand, shipped in saltwater. All of this is true ocean rock and live sand, which I used to seed the tank. I have been very pleased with this experience, and if I set up another tank, I will go this route. The bio diversity of the TBS rock is starting to pop. Worth the investment!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up an IM 40L AIO and went with a mix of dry and live rock. Some might argue necessary/not necessary, but I cured and cycled the dry rock in a covered bin for 6 weeks to get the initial nitrogen cycle complete. I added ammonium chloride and MicroBacter7 and let that do its thing. Once that rock was cycled, I started to assemble my new tank. Once all the hardware was dialed in, I placed an order with TBS Saltwater and ordered a Pico Treasure Chest. I got a mix of premium rock, base rock, and 3 pounds of live sand, shipped in saltwater. All of this is true ocean rock and live sand, which I used to seed the tank. I have been very pleased with this experience, and if I set up another tank, I will go this route. The bio diversity of the TBS rock is starting to pop. Worth the investment!
This is the same plan I am going to follow in my new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back