Drywall/Saw Dust....am I being over dramatic?!

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I’m doing some renovations in my basement and that’s where I keep my RODI/Mixing station. Yesterday I ripped down an old wall of drywall and cut into a few pieces of pressure treated wood. My mixing barres have large plastic lids and I covered these lids with plastic however it was a little loose. I’m worried some dust couldve gotten underneath and up the plastic and made its was into one of the small holes in the lid. I’ve since tightened the plastic since this is just the beginning of renovations. Please let me know if I have anything to worry about or if I’m just being dramatic. My girlfriend thinks I’m crazy! Lol.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. lift one of the lids and see if there is any dust floating on top of the water. I am thinking your GF is correct.
Haha I’ll take a look tomorrow once any dust settles a bit, I did a little more work this evening.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall is calcium sulfate ..... might actually help the tank. I’d worry more (though still not overly) about the PT wood. Curious that was in an inside wall.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drywall is calcium sulfate ..... might actually help the tank. I’d worry more (though still not overly) about the PT wood. Curious that was in an inside wall.
It wasnt in the wall actually, I ripped a few pieces to use as a bottom plate in a new wall I’m building

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok, that makes more sense.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not worries??

I’ve ‘dosed’ my tank with drywall and sawdust many times. Not had an issue yet. FWIW, always a good idea to keep a poly filter on hand just in case though. Very good at adsorbing all sorts of contaminants.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my 2200sf basement with both a 120 and 150 tank up and running. Washed and etched the floor, then floor painted. Then, nearly 1000 2x4 studs for framing with fiberglass insulation throughout. Ran all the electric including a 100A box for the workshop. Then nearly 150 4x8 sheets of drywall and all the mudding and sanding that entails. Then too many gallons of primer and paint. Oil based stain and polyurethane for all the doors and trim. Drop ceiling. Finally, had RiteRug do the carpet.

Neither tank even blinked. Never covered either one.

Methinks you might be overreacting just a bit!:cool:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back