Love the hobby but I get anxious

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R. I don’t want to take to much of your time.

I’m setting up a tank. Plan to FOWLR and transition into a reef. 14 gal nano. Plan to purchase LR.

Anyways, as I set up my tank I have come to a confession with myself. I admit, I love the hobby but I worry too much of possible issues, and not being able to solve them

I don’t mind WC. I don’t mind testing often. I don’t mind waiting for my tank to stabilize

I mind that I try too much sometimes. Sometimes I’m on this forum too much trying to learn it all and it’s my fault that I stress about how my tank could go.

I debate whether i should give this hobby another go or if i should stick to freshwater

I need advice, I hope to hear from the forum soon

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR is an easy way to test your skills and desire. With 14 gallons just limit the type of fish you plan on. Thinking small Gobis, or Blennies. Keep the numbers down and you will be fine. You can add small crabs and shrimp and a few smaller types of anemones for interest and color. Should be an easy cate tank. Enjoy.

Yang’s Blue Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant water change on a 14g should fix most new reefer problems. I was in that spot as well my first 15G I was a little anxious as well. I was diligent with my water change and testing. Lead me to have a tank like this.
15G.jpg

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR is an easy way to test your skills and desire. With 14 gallons just limit the type of fish you plan on. Thinking small Gobis, or Blennies. Keep the numbers down and you will be fine. You can add small crabs and shrimp and a few smaller types of anemones for interest and color. Should be an easy cate tank. Enjoy.
I’ve given this thought. I’ve thought not going through the hassle of hard coral going FOWLR.

I don’t mind testing N and P though

I have a friend who’s tank has been up for 4 years now, has a tank full on BTA, with infrequent water changes, says they’re easy

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decide what your goals are. I have a 1.1g pico, and small tanks are very hard to maintain. But, I don’t keep fish in it, just photosynthetic corals, two hermits, a snail, and it’s basically maintenance free. You don’t have to avoid corals, you just have to pick easy ones. There’s tons of Zoanthid and LPS that are photosynthetic.

With a 14 g just keep the bioload very low and it will be easy to keep corals. Pick one fish you like, and that’s it. One fish, photosynthetic corals that don’t need feeding, and a few inverts. People tend to overstock small tanks and that’s when you get into trouble

Attachments

• B6B64955-3857-4E51-BF93-86F5FE6E0781.jpeg
    B6B64955-3857-4E51-BF93-86F5FE6E0781.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 3E8989F2-6A52-4481-A1E4-026AE120FC8E.jpeg
    3E8989F2-6A52-4481-A1E4-026AE120FC8E.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 93945650-1F39-4791-ACB5-B4715660DA8C.jpeg
    93945650-1F39-4791-ACB5-B4715660DA8C.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 23

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly? I'm the same way. Today I did a 100% WC because I am getting livestock to put in my 8 gallon. I was worried about the salt being too much and when I tested it, it was only 1.020, so I panicked and added a few more half cups in the tank, and now it is at 1.025. xD So much harder than FW

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely me with my 125g FOWLR, even moreso now since I’m currently treating the tank with Prazi. But even before that I’d find myself coming back from work and staring at every single fish just to make sure they’re all healthy. Can’t beat the satisfaction of sitting in front of the tank and just watching though. I can’t wait until I get to the final stage of where I want the tank to be.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m setting up a tank. Plan to FOWLR and transition into a reef. 14 gal nano. Plan to purchase LR.

Anyways, as I set up my tank I have come to a confession with myself. I admit, I love the hobby but I worry too much of possible issues, and not being able to solve them

I don’t mind WC. I don’t mind testing often. I don’t mind waiting for my tank to stabilize

I mind that I try too much sometimes. Sometimes I’m on this forum too much trying to learn it all and it’s my fault that I stress about how my tank could go.

I debate whether i should give this hobby another go or if i should stick to freshwater

Stick with it! I was super anxious too. Still am! But your 14 sounds like a nice little nano. Ive got a 15 with an emerald crab, coral banded shrimp, tiger conch, 2 clownfish and a molly I transitioned to SW. :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely me with my 125g FOWLR, even moreso now since I’m currently treating the tank with Prazi. But even before that I’d find myself coming back from work and staring at every single fish just to make sure they’re all healthy. Can’t beat the satisfaction of sitting in front of the tank and just watching though. I can’t wait until I get to the final stage of where I want the tank to be.
Lol yeah I do that all the time with my fishies! Love each and every one of them

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant water change on a 14g should fix most new reefer problems. I was in that spot as well my first 15G I was a little anxious as well. I was diligent with my water change and testing. Lead me to have a tank like this.
15G.jpg
Stunning!! I love that flowy torch!!!

Funkcol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With this sentiment, I feel like the hobby deserves you. We shouldn't be entrusted with attending to the life and well-being of creatures if we didn't have a healthy concern for issues that may arise. When caring for others, I think "try too much" is rarely a bad thing. The one caveat to that is if trying too much is negatively impacting your own mental health, and that's when it starts cascading to those around you. If you find such is the case in your life, then for sure freshwater may be the perfect balance. Be well!

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

coming from a former freshwater guy, trust me, it is worth it to be a reefer. Overthinking and researching is going to make you better at this. If I were you, I would go for more water volume than 14g. Something closer to 30g will start to make mistakes more tolerable. The people that end up with horrible algae are the ones that didn't do their homework and neglect their tanks and don't test.

Look for deals on used equipment. It will save you a ton of money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back