You Decide - should I come back

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use tap water? RO/DI is necessary for any fish tank-, especially with coral
That is not true. Only a fraction of this hobby uses RO/DI and it is a "newish" thing over the last 10-15 years. Tap water quality varies by region and even town.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not true. Only a fraction of this hobby uses RO/DI and it is a "newish" thing over the last 10-15 years. Tap water quality varies by region and even town.
But using tap water can easily crash your tank because tap water is treated for humans safety and not fish's safety. Yes, it does vary by region and I guess some may be able to pull it off, but my tap water has a tds of 160, and my filter brings it down to 0. Much safer.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong, when I was in the hobby, I never skimped out on husbandry and observation. I was just ‘too’ careful and that stressed me out. Anything wet and new to my tank scared me , due to pest and disease
I don't understand the question or conversation. You say that an aquarium stresses you out, partly due to pests and disease, but want to start over without quarantine.

You are asking people to make a decision for you but we don't know you.

Do the adult thing, make your own decision based on your own feelings, not input from random people that don't know you, your skills, personality, etc.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rr
But using tap water can easily crash your tank because tap water is treated for humans safety and not fish's safety. Yes, it does vary by region and I guess some may be able to pull it off, but my tap water has a tds of 160, and my filter brings it down to 0. Much safer.
It just depends what that "160" TDS is. RO/DI can certainly eliminate some variables and/or the need to worry about certain issues, but it is not a "fix all" either.

A large percentage of RO/DI systems used in the hobby have exhausted pre-filters, membranes and resin and in some cases are outputting worse water than they are ingesting because the resin is leeching what it absorbed back into the output water. SO "160 in" becomes "220" out - and the owner is oblivious.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rr

It just depends what that "160" TDS is. RO/DI can certainly eliminate some variables and/or the need to worry about certain issues, but it is not a "fix all" either.

A large percentage of RO/DI systems used in the hobby have exhausted pre-filters, membranes and resin and in some cases are outputting worse water than they are ingesting because the resin is leeching what it absorbed back into the output water. SO "160 in" becomes "220" out - and the owner is oblivious.
If you get a cheap 12 dollar tds meter from Amazon, this won't be a problem because you will know when the filters and membranes are getting bad.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a cheap 12 dollar tds meter from Amazon, this won't be a problem because you will know when the filters and membranes are getting bad.
Yes of course, but the point is/was that RO/DI is not universal in this hobby and for those that do use it, many do not maintain them or test their TDS regularly anyway. There are countless successful tanks using "tap" water and countless "crashed" tanks using RO/DI. There are few absolutes in this hobby and countless variables. Success can be lucky even when the "rules" are broken and elusive even when they are followed.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of chemicals can be purged within 24 hours of being tepid, however RODIs are so cheap and the filters last a year minimum so I don't understand why people don't run them. Again... these people should not be in the hobby. Nothing against people with well water that know what's in the water as it will never change. Treated water changes on a daily basis.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this fuss over water. I just toddle off down the street and fill a bucket with it, any time I feel like it :)

Seriously though, you should not judge people for using tap water. In some parts of the world, the quality is heaps good enough to use as is. I would do it, except I think natural seawater is just the best way.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All this fuss over water. I just toddle off down the street and fill a bucket with it, any time I feel like it :)

Seriously though, you should not judge people for using tap water. In some parts of the world, the quality is heaps good enough to use as is. I would do it, except I think natural seawater is just the best way.
There is nothing wrong with rolling with tap if you know what's exactly in it. If it's bad for the animals, know how to remove it. The oceans are dying out, and in most cases, we aren't helping. The least we can do for the animals is show them a little respect. I understand that different cultures feel differently. Some even eat house pets...

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with rolling with tap if you know what's exactly in it. If it's bad for the animals, know how to remove it. The oceans are dying out, and in most cases, we aren't helping. The least we can do for the animals is show them a little respect. I understand that different cultures feel differently. Some even eat house pets...
I genuinely can’t tell if you’re trolling, or you just have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.
What cultures eat house pets?

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I’m debating whether or not to come back to the hobby.

My previous attempt at saltwater reef tank only lasted 2 years where I broke down the tank due to being a poor teen with lack of organization

I have all I need to begin as a FOWLR - tank, ATO, RODI unit, Hanna checkers

I don’t have live rock, sand, salt or fish

If I start this hobby again my approach would be - NO QUARANTINE. Not for fish or coral. I plan on dosing and performing regular water changes as necessary/indicated by test kit

MINIMAL FILTRATION. No fancy equipment, only filter floss, and regular water changes along with live rock for bio diversity

NATURAL APPROACH. Staying away from any miracle chemicals. Algae? Use CUC, herbivore, or something to outcompete. Pest? Find a natural predator whether it be coral or pestilence

Most importantly PATIENCE. I will try my best to delay any action as the situation permits

So what do you think R2R, is it best I stay out the hobby or should we shoot for another try ?
Uh yah!! Come back! There are places online that do sell QT’d fish. You just need to be there to accept the package OBV. It’s a bit more expensive but so worth it. You can do an in tank refugium or macro algae tank. Tell me how big of a tank you are planning? For CUC you can easily do hermits, snails, crabs, shrimps, pin cushion urchin, other things. I would recommend a yellow Coris wrasse as a good pest predator. Just get 1.25LBS of rock per gallon and BUlk reef supply has a calculator for how much sand you need. Check out those bio blocks for some more bio filtration. Floss is a good option and I so wish I went with an AIO tank instead but I have a used 5ft 130g w/sump. Your maintenance should be easy if you stock lightly and have a big enough refugium

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back