You Decide - should I come back

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I’m debating whether or not to come back to the hobby.

My previous attempt at saltwater reef tank only lasted 2 years where I broke down the tank due to being a poor teen with lack of organization

I have all I need to begin as a FOWLR - tank, ATO, RODI unit, Hanna checkers

I don’t have live rock, sand, salt or fish

If I start this hobby again my approach would be - NO QUARANTINE. Not for fish or coral. I plan on dosing and performing regular water changes as necessary/indicated by test kit

MINIMAL FILTRATION. No fancy equipment, only filter floss, and regular water changes along with live rock for bio diversity

NATURAL APPROACH. Staying away from any miracle chemicals. Algae? Use CUC, herbivore, or something to outcompete. Pest? Find a natural predator whether it be coral or pestilence

Most importantly PATIENCE. I will try my best to delay any action as the situation permits

So what do you think R2R, is it best I stay out the hobby or should we shoot for another try ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F094BB6A-02AB-464D-8EB4-E725A60A8C7F.jpeg

Straight out of storage AKA the closet

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really up to you. If I were you, yes, but it really depends on your interests, and if you are a person who really likes a hobby for a year or 2, and then loses interest quickly after that.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ethical problem with 0 quarantine unless you buy from somewhere that does it. The amount of fish that die and tanks that get wiped in this hobby is astounding. Also you really should run carbon for the fish's health. Also what is a natural approach? Nothing is natural about this hobby.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t quarantine. I don’t do water changes. I don’t use rodi. I have no skimmer or dosing or anything like that. I have an algae turf scrubber and good ole live rock

And camera shy fish
D33E1B36-1B92-4DC6-B3A3-052CE0E252AF.jpeg 6B136681-DD8F-4F4D-8D5D-63CA6556E15F.jpeg 6E42FD85-3490-4E10-9F4F-042397A96F5A.jpeg
Do you use tap water? RO/DI is necessary for any fish tank-, especially with coral

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not quarantine back in the day 12 years ago, this time around post divorce etc and back in the hobby I quarantine, no chemical treatments, it is observational for 4-6 weeks, I feel it makes a difference. plus I UV which i never did, look at my build thread to see a recent pic.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t quarantine. I don’t do water changes. I don’t use rodi. I have no skimmer or dosing or anything like that. I have an algae turf scrubber and good ole live rock

And camera shy fish
D33E1B36-1B92-4DC6-B3A3-052CE0E252AF.jpeg 6B136681-DD8F-4F4D-8D5D-63CA6556E15F.jpeg 6E42FD85-3490-4E10-9F4F-042397A96F5A.jpeg
Not for nothing, but that's like a really nice collection. That rainbow lobo is amazing.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really up to you. If I were you, yes, but it really depends on your interests, and if you are a person who really likes a hobby for a year or 2, and then loses interest quickly after that.
I’m definitely interested. I’m uninterested in the complexity of approaches now adays I believe

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ethical problem with 0 quarantine unless you buy from somewhere that does it. The amount of fish that die and tanks that get wiped in this hobby is astounding. Also you really should run carbon for the fish's health. Also what is a natural approach? Nothing is natural about this hobby.
I actually did run carbon back in the day. Clear water for days

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not quarantine back in the day 12 years ago, this time around post divorce etc and back in the hobby I quarantine, no chemical treatments, it is observational for 4-6 weeks, I feel it makes a difference. plus I UV which i never did, look at my build thread to see a recent pic.
Do you medicate if any issues are present ?

I feel that if one fish becomes sick in the display, others are too

If it is a new addition, then I think observing is great

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should come back. It can work how you are planning it, if you are careful.
Don’t get me wrong, when I was in the hobby, I never skimped out on husbandry and observation. I was just ‘too’ careful and that stressed me out. Anything wet and new to my tank scared me , due to pest and disease

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back