dsb self repair! proof it works

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, while moving my refugium one corner of my 6" dsb got damaged. It turned black in a large area which is dead and decaying organics. This black area is (in my understanding) where the scary dsb stories come from. It is a build up of toxic materials and gas.
In a healthy dsb, limited damage will be repaired by the healthy portion. All macro fauna and bacteria will eat away at this toxic area and release the gas through movement and tunneling. Eventually the area will return to function and the black will dissapate. If the bed is unhealthy or dead it will grow and when disturbed release the toxins killing much if not all of your reef.
This is a documentation of the damage and hopefully repair of my dsb. so here we go.
First pic was tanken just after the move on sept 2. Second is a week later on the 9th. Notice the changes. Loss of some dark area and return of some fauna. I will keep updating once a week. :)
To those in the know, I'm no expert. This is my understanding. Feel free to discuss, correct, or reinforce the info given here.

PicsArt_09-09-12.32.22.jpg

PicsArt_09-09-12.36.03.jpg

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not surprized. ;-) my move went to well not to be a miracle. :) I'm gonna do a pic every week. If anyone wants others, say the word. Thanks for the interrest.
Can I borrow some of your luck then lol? Sorry to get off topic, but did you get that Bobbit yet?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they said they would send it monday to ensure it wouldn't sit. I ask if it was well and they said yes. I'm so excited!!! :-D:-D
Awesome! If he gets his own thread please tag me in it so I don't miss it! It will be fun to watch him grow, not that he isn't huge already lol.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure will. I need the excitment. I still can't find hobbit.:-( hope he's ok

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot. Week 3 :)

You can defaniy see the progress. So glad its recovering. :-D:-D

PicsArt_09-09-12.32.22.jpg

PicsArt_09-09-12.36.03.jpg

PicsArt_09-17-02.01.50.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accept! You have 48 hours or I am taking your wife hostage;)
Heck come get him and I'll even give you the bags the container and the $15 to ship him! Just been busy with the wifes new job, the massive jump with the club (website, bank account) sister-in-law ...enough of my excusses... He goes out Monday morning

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck come get him and I'll even give you the bags the container and the $15 to ship him! Just been busy with the wifes new job, the massive jump with the club (website, bank account) sister-in-law ...enough of my excusses... He goes out Monday morning
Haha good, because I am acting manager for the next 2 weeks, so my already tight schedule just got tighter:( but if you don't get a chance by next Wednesday (I think I have that day off provided no one calls off) then I will come get him:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back