dsb self repair! proof it works

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha good, because I am acting manager for the next 2 weeks, so my already tight schedule just got tighter:( but if you don't get a chance by next Wednesday (I think I have that day off provided no one calls off) then I will come get him:)
Wednesday is no good for me. I will be is Rostraver building my new acrylic sump, well unless you want to see multiple tanks over flowing with rose bubble tip anemones, the largest collection of coral skeletons outside of Florida and some really good chinese food.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update:
Almost there! :-D

PicsArt_09-23-10.36.49.jpg

PicsArt_09-30-05.51.47.jpg

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appolagize guys. With my recent 2 part woes I completly forgot this thread. Updated pic tomorrow :)

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, while moving my refugium one corner of my 6" dsb got damaged. It turned black in a large area which is dead and decaying organics. This black area is (in my understanding) where the scary dsb stories come from. It is a build up of toxic materials and gas.
In a healthy dsb, limited damage will be repaired by the healthy portion. All macro fauna and bacteria will eat away at this toxic area and release the gas through movement and tunneling. Eventually the area will return to function and the black will dissapate. If the bed is unhealthy or dead it will grow and when disturbed release the toxins killing much if not all of your reef.
This is a documentation of the damage and hopefully repair of my dsb. so here we go.
First pic was tanken just after the move on sept 2. Second is a week later on the 9th. Notice the changes. Loss of some dark area and return of some fauna. I will keep updating once a week. :)
To those in the know, I'm no expert. This is my understanding. Feel free to discuss, correct, or reinforce the info given here.

PicsArt_09-09-12.32.22.jpg

PicsArt_09-09-12.36.03.jpg
Wow! I'm a DSB'er too. Glad to see its clearing up. Hats off to you. Most people would have bailed and said how bad DSB's are. I'm glad I found you. I have an 8 inch DSB about 15 months old. So far so good.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How embarrassing to read my last post here. LOL but I absolutely love my dsb and would never get rid of it. My refugium is almost as important to me as my display. It has had a few knocks but it has always recovered. It does wonders for my fish tank and creates a constant flow of microorganisms. It's been running about four or five years now and I moved it about eight to nine months ago now. Do you have any pics of yours?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back