Dual Maxspect with Variable flow via Apex/IceCap Controller

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - I saw a BRS video on this but can't connect the dots...

I currently have an XF250 with controller. I'm looking to add a second one on the opposing side of the tank and then have the Apex have them essentially throttle the power % throughout the day so that the turbulence moves throughout the tank.

It seems though that people are having trouble executing it?

Questions:

1) Can I buy any of the IceCap Controllers I see on BRS or is there a specific one I need?

2) For the second Gyre (XF350), can I get pump only or do I need the one that comes with a new Maxspect controller too?

3) I understand I need a Y Cable to connect the Icecap Controller to the Apex. My Apex is ~30 feet away from display tank.... Can I use a standard ethernet cable and/or Aux Cable to bridge the gap?

Thanks!

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have an XF250 with controller. I'm looking to add a second one on the opposing side of the tank and then have the Apex have them essentially throttle the power % throughout the day so that the turbulence moves throughout the tank.

Questions:

1) Can I buy any of the IceCap Controllers I see on BRS or is there a specific one I need?

2) For the second Gyre (XF350), can I get pump only or do I need the one that comes with a new Maxspect controller too?

3) I understand I need a Y Cable to connect the Icecap Controller to the Apex. My Apex is ~30 feet away from display tank.... Can I use a...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Questions:

3) I understand I need a Y Cable to connect the Icecap Controller to the Apex. My Apex is ~30 feet away from display tank.... Can I use a standard ethernet cable and/or Aux Cable to bridge the gap?

Thanks!
I tried this - I decided it was simpler to just buy the Newer version/controller - from Maxspect - that allowed this to be easily programmed. On my tank - I have two gyres one on each end of the 5 foot tank - running 'randomly' - between 30 and 100% alternating every 10 seconds throughout the day and night - everything seems happy. I was never able to program the Icecap version adequately with Apex. I'm sure its possible - but - I had constant problems. I hope this helps a little.

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this - I decided it was simpler to just buy the Newer version/controller - from Maxspect - that allowed this to be easily programmed. On my tank - I have two gyres one on each end of the 5 foot tank - running 'randomly' - between 30 and 100% alternating every 10 seconds throughout the day and night - everything seems happy. I was never able to program the Icecap version adequately with Apex. I'm sure its possible - but - I had constant problems. I hope this helps a little.
I'm so thankful for your reply - the more I was reading about the Icecap workaround, the more I thought about just getting a Vortech MP40 and calling it a day.

Can just get a new XF350 w/ Controller and pulg in my XF250 to accomplish what you have done?

Edit: Your tank is awesome - great job buddy

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back