Dual return pump connection

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for about 35 years and things have changed a bit. Now the recommendation is to have 2 return pumps for backup and the arguments seem to make sense. My Waterbox 4820 Peninsula arrived yesterday and I have been setting it up and looking at the fact it has 1 return line, I need a way to tie both pumps to that return. Looking at schedule 80 connectors (even schedule 40) I can't find a "Y" connector, only "T" connectors which would result in the pump flows opposing each other and wasting energy to get the water back to the box. What is the standard method of combining 2 lines into 1? Something I am missing something or am I incorrect in the assumption that the "T" would cause a problem?
I do intend to put check valves on both lines to prevent 1 pump going back to the sump in the event of a pump failure but that is only part of a solution.
Thanks for any advice!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Y connection on mine, but it takes the output from a single return pump and splits it into separate return lines. I'm thinking a Y connection would be best.

OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Y connection on mine, but it takes the output from a single return pump and splits it into separate return lines. I'm thinking a Y connection would be best.
I agree that a Y connector would be best but where do you find one? I have scoured hardware stores, Amazon.com, etc. and can't seem to find anything other than T connectors.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still intent on combining them, the best bet would be to find a “Y” barb fitting. That would be the easiest without going into larger 1.25”+ fittings.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this would work

Attachments

• 224F049F-A472-41E9-9E85-A5247F6A15E5.png
    224F049F-A472-41E9-9E85-A5247F6A15E5.png
    344.2 KB · Views: 72

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or this

Attachments

• 8C4EB0AA-8AD2-4A70-92A4-AFB795E66F46.png
    8C4EB0AA-8AD2-4A70-92A4-AFB795E66F46.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do two pumps on one return line. Usually it’s recommended to have two for redundancy if there are more than one return line
I would agree 2 returns would be best but since the Waterbox 4820 Peninsula comes plumbed with 1 return and I don't intend to start drilling a miscellaneous hole in a new tank, I am kinda' stuck with the 1.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look you reef dork on you tube he used 2 return pumps on one return line in his tank

OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not tie them together.

What return pump are you using?
Was hoping to use 2 Sicce - Syncra SDC 6.0 pumps and run them at a lower speed. I guess I could just hookup the 1 and put the other on the shelf for "just in case" but was hoping for the redundancy to be a little more automatic in case I am not there for a day or 2.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping to use 2 Sicce - Syncra SDC 6.0 pumps and run them at a lower speed. I guess I could just hookup the 1 and put the other on the shelf for "just in case" but was hoping for the redundancy to be a little more automatic in case I am not there for a day or 2.
If that’s what you’re worried about, a better solution would be to hook up whatever wavemaker or flow pump you have to a battery back up in the main display. I’ve been able to have tanks go powerless for a day or two after a storm so long as I had a Wavemaker running.

OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s what you’re worried about, a better solution would be to hook up whatever wavemaker or flow pump you have to a battery back up in the main display. I’ve been able to have tanks go powerless for a day or two after a storm so long as I had a Wavemaker running.
Intend on doing that too. :)

OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look you reef dork on you tube he used 2 return pumps on one return line in his tank
Thanks! I subscribe to Reef Dork but hadn't seen that vid. Found what I was looking for on Ebay:

Thanks to all who replied with help!

Pennekampdream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how the check valves would reduce flow. Anyone have any data on a typical check valve for 3/4” tubing and how much it would reduce flow.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this thread because I am in the same boat, I will be using the two pumps and my original thought process was to plum them in a way that they both can run the tank if necessary using gate valves to allow the 2nd to pump the tank if the first was to fail, then I started thinking a stopped pump in water for a long period of time will develop some kind of gunk in there, last night I had the idea to just run them both each pump 11 hours a day (the other hour in between is used for feeding) and use a single return line of plumbing, check valves on both pumps so the water does not return to the sump from each other...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back