Dual return Sump choice recommendations

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need recommendations for a skimmer. I’m gearing up for a 225g 72x30x24” tank and would like to run dual returns for redundancy.

So for this system I’m thinking of a 48” sump with a skimmer and refugium chamber (might end up as a frag chamber). I run filter socks but wouldn’t shy from the option of a roller mat.

All that is easy to find. Could pick a Bashsea SS-48 for example. But if I want dual returns, particularly dual COR20s I understand that may not fit.

What options are there without going custom that can fit dual returns in a return chamber?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run that same sump, I use to run dual COR20’s with it, just need to remove the divider in the return section and they fit

6AB45B6E-3083-4E6A-B0F9-D8DA06B34FE4.jpeg

OP
OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this thread. Black Friday approacheth!

I am not super keen on removing that divider since I worry about removing the bubble reduction functionality and wonder if anything supports this out of the box.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bump this thread. Black Friday approacheth!

I am not super keen on removing that divider since I worry about removing the bubble reduction functionality and wonder if anything supports this out of the box.
Outside of custom you will probably be hard pressed to find a stock option for Dual returns. The whole dual return philosophy is still relatively new and give the cost, rare setup. Most manufacturers aren't willing to put a line out with a relatively limited market. However, having said that, there are a couple manufacturers out there who will slightly modify there stock designs for you for little to no extra charge depending on how far the adjustments go. I know that GEO's reef and Lifereef will and I believe Bashsea used to. They might still. All of these have stock designs that are built to order so modification is typically not a big deal.

OP
OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those geo reefs sumps are pretty amazing. I hadn’t looked them over before. I love the idea that you can buy it essentially with or without a built in ATO reservoir. It gave me the idea to perhaps run my ATO through the wall behind the tank into the sump, saving lots of room in the stand and freeing up a larger return chamber while still having a refugium and skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
gatohoser

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump one more time, to see if anyone has any other options out there as the sales begin. I really like the Bashsea sumps with a large skimmer and refugium chamber, but just wish they could trade some of that refugium room for return chamber without going custom and doubling the cost as I've heard will happen.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks amazing! what is that at the center of the sump with the white pvc?
Thank you. It's a great sump. That's the plumbing for the dual reactors. Just a couple of union connections to quickly remove the reactors for servicing. The little pvc parts on the returns are to connect an extension piece of tubing to flush out the gfo water when replacing.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back