Dug my own grave/Ick/Velvet..

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mistakes were made and hard lesson being learned, even after reading all the horror stories.
Backstory- 2 clowns came from breeder, in observation 4 weeks while new tank finished the cycle. All was well and happy, added a some easy starter coral, 3 snails, 4 herms with no issues. Talking with an LFS, boasted about their QT which really made me feel good I'd found a small operation that showed so much dedication to the hobby. Well I took their advise on a YWG/pistol that had finished their QT, drip acclimated and strait to the display.. (also picked up some more corals and cleaner shrimp)

2 days later
Pistol shrimp found/skeleton

3 days later (Fish eating like crazy)
Clowns looked off, spots but more of a milky coating, labored breathing. QT tank was assembled, had to make water, bring to temp, this took about 2 hrs. During this time it progressed, YWG was clearly affected with same symptoms and clowns were worse. After having to remove all rock to catch the buggers, they received a FW dip followed by copper power per label on dosing (hanna copper meter was ordered w/extra reagent during this panic) Didn't chance the ramp up on copper due to progression and ability to test levels. Finally after getting this situated, they ate which threw me off but was 2am and was at the end of my rope.

This morning
Wake up to nothing dead except my freaking air stone seemed to give up during the night, quickly set up a HOB before having to leave for work...***
Sorry for the bad picture quality taken before placing in QT, the top clowns face is how the whole body looks including the eyes. Will take some better pic later today of them in QT if alive. Trying to get some idea to decipher which it may be, leaning velvet.

Last question I have for my display, seeing it will need 6-8 weeks fishless. Any suggestions for keeping my bio and coral alive? Still have cleaner shrip/herms/snails in as well.

zfish.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakes were made and hard lesson being learned, even after reading all the horror stories.
Backstory- 2 clowns came from breeder, in observation 4 weeks while new tank finished the cycle. All was well and happy, added a some easy starter coral, 3 snails, 4 herms with no issues. Talking with an LFS, boasted about their QT which really made me feel good I'd found a small operation that showed so much dedication to the hobby. Well I took their advise on a YWG/pistol that had finished their QT, drip acclimated and strait to the display.. (also picked up some more corals and cleaner shrimp)

2 days later

Clowns looked off, spots but more of a milky coating, labored breathing. QT tank was assembled, had to make water, bring to temp, this took about 2 hrs. During this time it progressed, YWG was clearly affected with same symptoms and clowns were worse. After having to remove all rock to catch the buggers, they received a FW dip followed by copper power per label on dosing (hanna copper meter was ordered w/extra reagent during this panic) Didn't chance the ramp up on copper due to progression and ability to test levels. Finally after getting this situated, they ate which threw me off but was 2am and was at the end of my rope.

This morning
Wake up to nothing dead except my freaking air stone seemed to give up during the night, quickly set up a HOB before having to leave for work...***
Sorry for the bad picture quality taken before placing in QT, the top clowns face is how the whole body looks including the eyes. Will take some better pic later today of them in QT if alive. Trying to get some idea to decipher which it may be, leaning velvet.

Last question I have for my display, seeing it will need 6-8 weeks fishless. Any suggestions for keeping my bio and coral alive? Still have cleaner shrip/herms/snails in as well.

zfish.jpg
Continue to feed the fallow tank. Target feed corals. The use of live phyto is always a good idea

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

2 days later

This morning

zfish.jpg
Give the shrimp and inverts an occasional algae tab to eat and do add Liquid bacteria daily at 1-1.5 ml per 10 gallons every other day
Yes, better pic under white lighting would be helpful

1679676482390.png

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Give the shrimp and inverts an occasional algae tab to eat and do add Liquid bacteria daily at 1-1.5 ml per 10 gallons every other day
Yes, better pic under white lighting would be helpful

1679676482390.png
Great thank you and I will get some pics in white light in a few hrs! Do you recommend a specific brand of bacteria?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great thank you and I will get some pics in white light in a few hrs! Do you recommend a specific brand of bacteria?
Microbacter 7
Bio-spira
Probidio

Back