Dumb - dosing pump for kalk.... need to turn on and off - no timer

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb - dosing pump for kalk.... need to turn on and off - no timer
What is a good option?
Kamoer X1- Pro t2 - can this be turn on and off simply?
I have a timer connected to PH probe.. so i want to turn it on and off... no wifi

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a 50ml/minute or ~1ml minute simple dosing pump - no frills or timer, just plugs into the wall. I'm assuming you are dosing kalk based on ALK/CAL and evap rate, and not just based on your pH? (since you said you connected a timer to your pH probe)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused about what you are asking.

You want a dosing pump that only is on/off and will be controlled by a pH probe?

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good answers - I think I need some help on this one.
I am looking at a Avast K1 Kalk stirrer for my 200G tank.

I have a PH probe with Reef Factory and AKL reader with reef factory.
Both these can be used to control things... on and off according to the levels.

So I was thinking that I could use the PH or AKL change from day to night to add Kalk to maintain the PH...

Avast say to use a pump separately to add 90% of the RO top up water.
thoughts?

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely won't need to monitor the pH or ALK regarding your Kalk dose, unless your tank has very light demand (like a softie tank). I'd just measure your evaporation rate and add all the saturated kalk you can (Avast 90% target is a good one) - you'll likely need another ALK/CAL source for a 200g gallon like two part or a calcium reactor (again, depending on what corals you are keeping). And if adding kalk equal to your evaporation rate each day bumps your pH too high, you are a lucky man indeed, LOL...

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thansk ReefEco - I am running a Calcium reactor
Currently the tank has a small SPS etc corals so the demand is not huge.

So should I dos kalk over a 24hr period?
Or at night only?

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it - then I would just maximize your kalk in relation to your evap rate. If the primary purpose is boosting pH (like I do too with a calcium reactor), then concentrating your Kalk dose at night is preferable. I dose from about 8pm to 7am to try to even out the pH dip a bit. If you still have a lower pH than you want, I also dose a little sodium hydroxide (and proportional calcium solution) purely to boost pH further.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk should be dosed on alkalinity demand, not pH or evaporation.

It is possible to underdose kalk if controlled by pH, for example. It is also possible to raise alkalinity too high if the alk demand isn't high and you replace all evaporation with saturated kalk, as another example.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk should be dosed on alkalinity demand, not pH or evaporation.

It is possible to underdose kalk if controlled by pH, for example. It is also possible to raise alkalinity too high if the alk demand isn't high and you replace all evaporation with saturated kalk, as another example.
I think testing alk for the various dosing methods is a given. The assumption here is that on a normally stocked mixed reef 200g tank, you will never be able to meet alk/cal demand with kalk alone - which is why maxing out the dose based on evaporation is a good starting point(i'd still have kalk on a doser set to a constant amount, not added to top off and allowed to fluctuate), then adjust the calcium reactor accordingly. And also that since a calcium reactor is employed, raising your pH too high with too much kalk is also a remote possibility.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The assumption here is that on a normally stocked mixed reef 200g tank, you will never be able to meet alk/cal demand with kalk alone - which is why maxing out the dose based on evaporation is a good starting point(i'd still have kalk on a doser set to a constant amount, not added to top off and allowed to fluctuate)
Agreed. I do not run a calcium reactor but do drip kalk. I tried it in the ato but it was too inconsistent with varying rates of evaporation. I have 180g about 225 total mixed reef and use a brs dosing pump. The pump is not designed for continuous use so I have it on a digital timer 45 minutes on 5 minutes off 24/7 that and 30ml esv 2part alk daily keeps my alkalynity very stable.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't make assumptions when giving advice on dosing. I think controlling alk/Ca dosing with a pH probe is a bad idea. It needs to be controlled by alk consumption. We don't know what OP's levels are or what OP's daily consumption is.

My dosing in my 125 gallon is taken care of with kalk, and it's not completely saturated kalk. If I replaced all evaporation with saturated kalk, my alkalinity would rise. I don't have lots of Acros, but I do have big stony colonies. I don't let coralline algae grow anywhere on my glass, so that makes a difference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back