Dumb Fish Psychology Question

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curiosity, but I couldn’t find an answer when I googled it.

Constantly observing my new fish in QT and I’m curious about one behavior. Every once in a while I will see my Orange Shoulder Tang swim slowly with its dorsal fin in the high erect position with the spins showing. My thinking is it’s a power display. It’s wants to make itself look bigger to the other fish, kind of like a male dog or lion (or any other species) will bristle up when it thinks it may go into battle. Could it be that or a display of true hostility or maybe just flexing/stretching it’s fins. I don’t see that with the other inmates in QT with him.

I know it’s a dumb question and I do tend to over think everything, but what it the display for? He is usually just swimming laps around the QT as fast as he can swim. I know a lot of you have been watching your fish longer than I have. Any thoughts on this behavior?

Jetson

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tangs will “flash” like this at one another if they are showing dominance. The one I see do it the most now is actually the smallest of my bunch- my Powder Blue. It is Never Aggressive, but will do this when a larger fish that I assume intimidates it gets in its space. My trigger is usually the aggressor and my Powder only has to throw up fins and flash at him to let the trigger know What’s Up. I wouldn’t take it as a sign of aggression, but one of dominance.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes since. The Orange shoulder is the biggest in my QT, so I guess he is making sure everyone else knows it. He will be the last to go into the DT when it finishes cycling. Give the others a chance to get settled.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back