Dumb Question - Spotcinctus and Ocellaris in the Same Tank?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure the answer is “absolutely not” but could I get away with moving my pair of 2 year old Spotcinctus clowns into the same tank as my 3 year old pair of Ocellaris clowns? The Ocellaris pair (1 male Black Storm & 1 female Extreme Snowflake) have been in my 4 ft 120g DT and they have a bunch of BTAs but they only stay far on the right side of the tank. Some of the BTAs have moved to the far left side of the tank where I have never seen them venture. My Spotcinctus clowns have grown much faster than I realized they would and they’re still in a Fluval Flex 32.5g tank. I need to get them out of there and I would love to shut that tank down (I hate it but that’s another story). When I got the Spotcinctus, I was told by the LFS that they were basically the same as Ocellaris and would only get to the same size so the tank o was going to add them to would be fine for them for forever. I know, I should have done more research and I’m paying for that now and so are my fish. I feel bad about that.

So my options are to move them to the bigger tank and take that gamble or rehome them. It would make me sad to rehome them but I’m much more attached to the Ocellaris pair. The Ocellaris in this tank are the least aggressive clowns I’ve ever seen. I have another pair in my other 120 and they are demonic.

So what would you all suggest?

Edit: I should also add that the Spotcinctus are not aggressive at all either. They move as far away as possible when I’m working in their tank.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have ample space, it may not be an issue. I have a pair of Spocinctus and 3 Ocellaris in a 210 (6ft) together with no problem.

Obviously it depends on the fish. If they wander to the other clowns space or want the same BTA, there may be a problem. But you may be able to get them out at that point.

It's hard to say if 4 ft will be enough to keep the peace.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they have ample space, it may not be an issue. I have a pair of Spocinctus and 3 Ocellaris in a 210 (6ft) together with no problem.

Obviously it depends on the fish. If they wander to the other clowns space or want the same BTA, there may be a problem. But you may be able to get them out at that point.

It's hard to say if 4 ft will be enough to keep the peace.
Appreciate your insight! Thank you!
I am so afraid to take the gamble but it would be amazing if it worked out.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your insight! Thank you!
I am so afraid to take the gamble but it would be amazing if it worked out.
Totally understand. I don't have any issues, but it's a much larger tank. So it's hard to say. They both have their areas and leave each other alone.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I honestly want to hear of anyone has had issues mixing these types so I can just get the idea right out of my head. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back