Duncan and hammer noy fully 9pening

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the stock light asap my friend also has a 13.5 fluvql and once he put a AI 16hd the entire tanks looked ALOT better
Obviously, corals will look better and grow faster with a better light, but most softies and lps will be perfectly happy under the stock lighting of the EVO

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait on more corals until you have all the testing for it. Make sure to remove as much algae by hand as you can during water changes.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a alk and calc tests, haven't bought them yet as im to young to have a job legally, I make money when I can and my tank is fully funded by me
To be frank, you have no business keeping any corals without an alkalinity test kit, and stony corals without a calcium test kit. You should also be checking your nitrates and phosphates. You can’t say you have good water quality if you’re not testing those parameters (getting your water tested every now and then at an LFS is not adequate, parameters can significantly change in a short amount of time, especially in a smaller tank). These are living animals we’re talking about, you have to buy the tools needed to properly care for them before buying the animals. So get some test kits (and any other equipment you may be missing) before you buy any more animals to put in the tank.

In the meantime, we’ll need some more info before we can try to help you. What kind of water/salt are you using, what are the parameters that you can test for (temp, salinity, etc), how old is the tank, how big is it, and how long have you had the corals?

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be frank, you have no business keeping any corals without an alkalinity test kit, and stony corals without a calcium test kit. You should also be checking your nitrates and phosphates. You can’t say you have good water quality if you’re not testing those parameters (getting your water tested every now and then at an LFS is not adequate, parameters can significantly change in a short amount of time, especially in a smaller tank). These are living animals we’re talking about, you have to buy the tools needed to properly care for them before buying the animals. So get some test kits (and any other equipment you may be missing) before you buy any more animals to put in the tank.

In the meantime, we’ll need some more info before we can try to help you. What kind of water/salt are you using, what are the parameters that you can test for (temp, salinity, etc), how old is the tank, how big is it, and how long have you had the corals?
Ok to start immediately on my way to yourreef.com in Roseville California to buy alk. and calc. Evo 13.5, tank is 1.5 months old but seeded with 4 year old live rock sand and water, oldest coral is a Kenya tree thats 6 months from my old tank, others are about a month temp is 76.5 and steady I live where it gets 100 plus salinity is .24 off to but more more reef roads alk. And calc. All good?

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was probably a less harsh way to say all that honestly. OP is just a kid and it’s not like he’s being belligerent. Maybe take it down a notch?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, no extra pumps just changed the return to a sicce 0.5 I have stock light with 2 x 9 watt tmc aquabar led lights also with a bubble tip nem. It's been in there over 2 years now, so yes they can survive under that light just maybe not thrive. Pulsing xeina is doing quite well under it though!
I would say though your tank is still a very young system and not knowing all the levels it's hard for us to diagnose your issue. My lps I had not open very well recently was due to salinity being too high (refractometer calibration solution faulty) How are you testing salinity?
Screenshot_20210616-001154_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, no extra pumps just changed the return to a sicce 0.5 I have stock light with 2 x 9 watt tmc aquabar led lights also with a bubble tip nem. It's been in there over 2 years now, so yes they can survive under that light just maybe not thrive. Pulsing xeina is doing quite well under it though!
I would say though your tank is still a very young system and not knowing all the levels it's hard for us to diagnose your issue. My lps I had not open very well recently was due to salinity being too high (refractometer calibration solution faulty) How are you testing salinity?
Screenshot_20210616-001154_Gallery.jpg
Refractometer on salinity, also had it tested at store, just bought test kits and dosing along with phyto, congrats on such success!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little too harsh..

OP- I hear you man, it’s hard being in the hobby as a full time working adult, I’m sure the struggles for a minor with out steady work are very real. But I’m excited to see young people get in the hobby, and there is no better lessons learned then by our own mistakes.

I see your in CA. I’m in LA, if your close enough I would be more then happy to test your water for you anytime you need until you get test kits. I have ro/di as well- I don’t Mind sharing when you need. I also have a few soft corals that may be good to start with, if your can get to me I can frag you some for free.

Feel free to sent me a private message and I can share my number. There’s a lot to learn in this hobby, and no one (and truly I mean no one- even those with negative comments) started with “all the knowledge”. We can exchange numbers and if you ever run into issues I can try to share any knowledge I have.

we’re to help and lead not chastise fellow reefers. None of us are experts but we all are in this hobby for the same reason- the passion we have for reefing. Don’t let anyone discourage you while your learning. We all have been there at one point and anyone who’s says different is full of detritus.

Take care man and happy reefing.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that algae is irritating them I’m sure, coupled with water issues and poor lighting.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little too harsh..

OP- I hear you man, it’s hard being in the hobby as a full time working adult, I’m sure the struggles for a minor with out steady work are very real. But I’m excited to see young people get in the hobby, and there is no better lessons learned then by our own mistakes.

I see your in CA. I’m in LA, if your close enough I would be more then happy to test your water for you anytime you need until you get test kits. I have to/di as well- I don’t Mind sharing when your need. I also have a few soft corals that may be good to start with, if your can get to me I can frag you some for free.

Feel free to sent me a private message and I can share my number. There’s a lot to learn in this hobby, and no one (and truly I mean no one- even those with negative comments) started with “all the knowledge”. We can exchange numbers and if you ever run into issues I can try to share any knowledge I have.

we’re to help and lead not chastise fellow reefers. None of us are experts but we all are in this hobby for the same reason- the passion we have for reefing. Don’t let anyone discourage you while your learning. We all have been there at one point and anyone who’s says different is full of detritus.

Take care man and happy reefing.
Thank you so much for the incredibly kind offer! I am in sacremento area though so were about 6 hours away id guess, I just spent 80 dollars and bought alot of calc. A calc. Test and a alk. Test along with phyto plankton, I still need alkalinity though, thank you so much for the kind offer! The people in this hobby seem great! I'll be home at 8pm and its 5pm so ill get back to you! Thanks and happy reefing, Max

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was probably a less harsh way to say all that honestly. OP is just a kid and it’s not like he’s being belligerent. Maybe take it down a notch?
I don’t think what I said was harsh, whatsoever. I don’t think they were belligerent, but the ‘I don’t have money for X necessary equipment to keep Y animal healthy’ excuse just doesn’t work for me, regardless of the age of the person making it. If you had enough money to buy the animal in question, you had enough money to buy a $15 test kit to ensure it stays alive. You don’t buy a dog and then say ‘I’m saving up to buy it some food’. There are a ton of things you can get by without in this hobby, an alkalinity test kit if you’re keeping stony corals (and really any corals) is not one of them. I don’t think pointing any of this out is harsh, I think it’s harsh to t

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the incredibly kind offer! I am in sacremento area though so were about 6 hours away id guess, I just spent 80 dollars and bought alot of calc. A calc. Test and a alk. Test along with phyto plankton, I still need alkalinity though, thank you so much for the kind offer! The people in this hobby seem great! I'll be home at 8pm and its 5pm so ill get back to you! Thanks and happy reefing, Max
My pleasure. Yeah Sacramento is pretty far lol. Too bad your not local my friend. But the offer still stands to exchange numbers, and just call or text me and I would be more then willing to share any experience I have. Take care my friend.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think what I said was harsh, whatsoever. I don’t think they were belligerent, but the ‘I don’t have money for X necessary equipment to keep Y animal healthy’ excuse just doesn’t work for me, regardless of the age of the person making it. If you had enough money to buy the animal in question, you had enough money to buy a $15 test kit to ensure it stays alive. You don’t buy a dog and then say ‘I’m saving up to buy it some food’. There are a ton of things you can get by without in this hobby, an alkalinity test kit if you’re keeping stony corals (and really any corals) is not one of them. I don’t think pointing any of this out is harsh, I think it’s harsh to t
Chill bud got tests and dosing along with phyto

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer on salinity, also had it tested at store, just bought test kits and dosing along with phyto, congrats on such success!
Thats okay then, it's always worth getting a second opinion if you can't figure things out. That's why R2R is here. I wouldn't go dosing things yet until you have all your levels known.
And thanks, I only had this tank as a low maintenance tank, so easy stuff but it's been the tank I've had to do the most work on as I started with all dry rock. Never again. I didnt put a nem in mine until it was over a year old though.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats okay then, it's always worth getting a second opinion if you can't figure things out. That's why R2R is here. I wouldn't go dosing things yet until you have all your levels known.
And thanks, I only had this tank as a low maintenance tank, so easy stuff but it's been the tank I've had to do the most work on as I started with all dry rock. Never again. I didnt put a nem in mine until it was over a year old though.
All things are seeded from a old system, and parameters as far as I know have been stable

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chill bud got tests and dosing along with phyto
Do not dose anything right away. Get your levels first. Alkalinity can be dosed with simple baking soda from your fridge added to top off water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back