Duncan Coral Closed up

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I seem to be having an issue with my Duncan Colony, I started with 1 head 6 months ago and it has grown to three but over the last month or so It has started to shrivel up, It still has its vibrant green color under the blue lights but it's not open like it used to be, it had three other heads coming in back when it was fully opened but I havent seen those heads since it started to close up any insight on what could be going on?

I do run my tank on the dirtier side because I prefer softies and leathers over the other corals, I have added a before and after picture of the coral.

this tank is 12 months old and all other corals doing great

salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Calcium 400
alk 10
PH 8.2
Nitrate 25
PHOS 0.1

1703625380085.png 1703625800376.png

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change flow or anything? My nutrient levels are exactly the same as yours and my duncans are wide open so that's not the issue. Have you had any fluctuations in parameters?

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change flow or anything? My nutrient levels are exactly the same as yours and my duncans are wide open so that's not the issue. Have you had any fluctuations in parameters?
Flow is the same, parameters have been stable, the only thing I can think of is that the foxface hides behind them at night and maybe hes irritating them but I doubt thats the case its more like just and idea. I can try moving them and see what happens. its just weird to go 6 months growing new heads and doing great to just balling up all of a sudden.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding them? They appreciate meaty foods, and they have voracious appetites!

And for what it’s worth, I’ve had Duncans act like that for a little when they were in the process of splitting/preparing to split. Especially when there’s multiple heads that are beginning to split.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your assessment.
Duncan is bullet proof, water good, so bugged good guess.
If you move, remember they are real slow in opening back up when moved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding them? They appreciate meaty foods, and they have voracious appetites!

And for what it’s worth, I’ve had Duncans act like that for a little when they were in the process of splitting/preparing to split. Especially when there’s multiple heads that are beginning to split.
I feed them Mysis twice a week

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your assessment.
Duncan is bullet proof, water good, so bugged good guess.
If you move, remember they are real slow in opening back up when moved.
Maybe if i move them the slow re opening will "reset them" and they'll forget all about being closed up lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back