Duncan coral reciprocal receeding?

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I feel like I have an unusual scenario here. My Duncan polyps for two separate colonies with about 40 heads each would both randomly receed and spontaneously come back over that last few months, so I thought very little when I noticed it happen again. I also don't like to move the coral too much since I feel that stresses em out.

All my parameters have been consistent. SG 1.026, n 0, p 0, ca 430, alk 10, ph 8, mg 1250. I really don't think my parameters are off and none of my other corals are showing signs of stress and my sps are growing great.

Today, I went ahead and moved the coral and noticed it was burned, so I'm assuming the bubble tip anemone was stinging it where I couldn't see until I moved it. Weird thing is that both duncan colonies (they are not close to each other) were receded. Would the second colony receed in response to the other colony being stung?

The colonies are next to my clown fish in this picture. The one on the right was being stung by the bta

20210906_184459.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate light and water flow
Assure nitrate and phosphate are not elevated
Salinity. 1.025
Ca. 440
Nitrates < .5
Phosphate. < .04

feed 2-3x per week

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been 9 days Since I moved the duncan getting stung, and it has been doing better. Within 2 days the polyps have been opening up at night. Today they are a little more open during the day. The one not getting stung is coming back even quicker.

Seems to me that separate colonies responds to stress another colony is receiving.

Attachments

• 20210921_113857.jpg
    20210921_113857.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 31

Cougarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really fascinating. If I understand you correctly, one colony was stung and reacted as you would expect but a second colony that was not stung reacted the same way?

I have only had my duncan a short time but I find it interesting that they develop seemingly different defensive habits. You mention yours opening up at night, mine and another thread I read on here both close up around the time I turn the lights off.

OP
OP
S

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really fascinating. If I understand you correctly, one colony was stung and reacted as you would expect but a second colony that was not stung reacted the same way?

I have only had my duncan a short time but I find it interesting that they develop seemingly different defensive habits. You mention yours opening up at night, mine and another thread I read on here both close up around the time I turn the lights off.

You explained this interaction much better haha.

They usually get smaller at night too, but with the stinging, both colonies were going completely away and only the green base was visible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back