Duncan coral

jakem42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my Duncan is doing good as it does have more heads popping out but wondering if maybe it doesn’t have enough light where it is because the main head is so big? When I first got it, it was more green and blue seems to have lost most of its green though. Should I try to place it higher in the tank?

Attachments

• IMG_8975.MOV
    21.5 MB

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your phosphates? It looks to be growing similar to the way my Duncan grows but as for the color could be low phosphates or not enough or too much lighting.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the video or picts of your Duncan…
Looks pretty good to me. My duncan won't come out, it has been more than a year and is still alive. It comes out a little maybe doesn't like the water and goes back in.

Maybe you are lacking some nutrients in the water. What are you testing for and give us all your test values. That will help others to help you. How long has the tank been running? Things like this will help.

OP
OP
jakem42

jakem42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good to me. My duncan won't come out, it has been more than a year and is still alive. It comes out a little maybe doesn't like the water and goes back in.

Maybe you are lacking some nutrients in the water. What are you testing for and give us all your test values. That will help others to help you. How long has the tank been running? Things like this will help.
Tank is a little over 3 months now. Here are my values I have though.
salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 7ppm
Phosphate 0
Ca 430
Alk 9.8
Unfortunately I don’t have a mag test or a ph test kit at the moment I’ve been meaning to get them both but haven’t yet

Attachments

• IMG_8975.MOV
    21.5 MB
OP
OP
jakem42

jakem42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a little over 3 months now. Here are my values I have though.
salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 7ppm
Phosphate 0
Ca 430
Alk 9.8
Unfortunately I don’t have a mag test or a ph test kit at the moment I’ve been meaning to get them both but haven’t yet
Not sure why the video doesn’t seem to be working?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. This is clearly a new build. I wouldn't move it, it has good flow where it is. the fact it is fully open says it is happy there.

Your lights look very white. Perhaps for video purposes? I would dial the whites WAY down. Run almost full blue.

OP
OP
jakem42

jakem42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. This is clearly a new build. I wouldn't move it, it has good flow where it is. the fact it is fully open says it is happy there.

Your lights look very white. Perhaps for video purposes? I would dial the whites WAY down. Run almost full blue.
Yeah fairly new for sure I figured it was happy but wasn’t sure if it being so big maybe it was stretching for more light or something? My whites are pretty low around 10% I did have the orange filter on for the video

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah fairly new for sure I figured it was happy but wasn’t sure if it being so big maybe it was stretching for more light or something? My whites are pretty low around 10% I did have the orange filter on for the video

What lights are you using?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are one of my favorites. I have 2 colonies in one tank. Just can't bare to frag them or sell one because they grow so well for me when many other things don't. I would leave it. It looks happy and the flow looks about like my two colonies like, just enough for back and forth movement. You can also feed once in a while if your not already. I used to but now I have so many heads I just leave the returns pump off when I feed and let it blow around the tank. Have fun watching it grow. I had a small colony die off but was able to save a single head that has now grown out to 18 heads.

OP
OP
jakem42

jakem42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are one of my favorites. I have 2 colonies in one tank. Just can't bare to frag them or sell one because they grow so well for me when many other things don't. I would leave it. It looks happy and the flow looks about like my two colonies like, just enough for back and forth movement. You can also feed once in a while if your not already. I used to but now I have so many heads I just leave the returns pump off when I feed and let it blow around the tank. Have fun watching it grow. I had a small colony die off but was able to save a single head that has now grown out to 18 heads.
Definitely one of my favorites too bought this about a month ago and it was just the one head so it’s definitely growing kinda quick I’d say! I do spot feed it about once a week currently too!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.
If true, very bad number.
That number brings higher pest algae populations and decreases areas for the good guys.
Get that up to 0.05-.1ppm.
Not enough starves the bacteria corals feed upon, too much, inhibits growth, dulls colour. 4C1A2852-9DE9-4E68-9DB1-7F4013BFCEDA.jpeg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.
If true, very bad number.
That number brings higher pest algae populations and decreases areas for the good guys.
Get that up to 0.05-.1ppm.
Not enough starves the bacteria corals feed upon, too much, inhibits growth, dulls colour. 4C1A2852-9DE9-4E68-9DB1-7F4013BFCEDA.jpeg
Very nice looking Duncan. Mine used to look like that but not anymore.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking Duncan. Mine used to look like that but not anymore.
As you know, they consume quite a bit, so when you feed (but not over feed) your bacteria with phosphate, corals can feed and puff up. Nitrate they can take directly.
Unstable or changing nutrient levels are a common cause of the “unhappy” coral polyp.

Or at least, that’s how I see it.

The good thing is they are VERY, hardy and can bounce back fast.

Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seems like my Duncan is doing good as it does have more heads popping out but wondering if maybe it doesn’t have enough light where it is because the main head is so big? When I first got it, it was more green and blue seems to have lost most of its green though. Should I try to place it higher in the tank?
The amount of light and spectrum will dictate ther colr hues of these coral. They do best with medium light and moderate water flow and feed mysis shrimp 2X per week

Started as 2 heads:
600g progress l.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, they consume quite a bit, so when you feed (but not over feed) your bacteria with phosphate, corals can feed and puff up. Nitrate they can take directly.
Unstable or changing nutrient levels are a common cause of the “unhappy” coral polyp.

Or at least, that’s how I see it.

The good thing is they are VERY, hardy and can bounce back fast.

Good luck.
In my case nitrates have been around 25 for several years now and phos around 0.121-0.0971. All my other corals are fine so if my Duncans don't like the water then they can move out. lol. I have already given away the 13 head colony minus this one to someone in hopes they have better results, and they are well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case nitrates have been around 25 for several years now and phos around 0.121-0.0971. All my other corals are fine so if my Duncans don't like the water then they can move out. lol. I have already given away the 13 head colony minus this one to someone in hopes they have better results, and they are well.
Those numbers look good.
Should have done well.

For me, it’s trachy’s, can keep everything but.

Strange.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back