Duncan Corals Won't Open

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like 2-3 weeks ago my duncan coral closed after I over-cleaned the tank and there was an ammonia spike. I'm still balancing out the changes in the water but everything is pretty close to how it was before, and it wasn't a huge spike. I moved him 2-3 times because I thought light/flow might've been a problem but he's still stayed closed. He won't target feed and his big head's mouth is gaping open like a hole in a golf ball course and the small head's mouth is swollen shut. He looks like he's slowly withering away, he's never closed this long and I don't know what to do. I haven't measured magnesium yet but we're ordering a kit now. My other green star polyp coral and clown are absolutely thriving. The green star is actually growing new heads.

PH - 8.2
Ammonia - .50
No-2 - 0
No-3 - 5
Alk - 10 (DKH)
Calcium - 460/470
SPG - 1.025

Him today:
20221123_193649.jpg

Him a couple weeks ago:
Screenshot_20221123-194832_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caused the spike? Id assume he'll be fine in the long run though.
I'm pretty sure I just over cleaned. The tank was running smoothly but there was a ton of algae and "spiderwebs" growing everywhere. I didn't do a big water change but scrubbed everything down, sifted the sand, and got rid of the algae and slime in the filter. I think it was because I cleaned the filter that the ammonia spiked. I ended up adding some bio booster and prime but it didn't help much.

ifish305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I just over cleaned. The tank was running smoothly but there was a ton of algae and "spiderwebs" growing everywhere. I didn't do a big water change but scrubbed everything down, sifted the sand, and got rid of the algae and slime in the filter. I think it was because I cleaned the filter that the ammonia spiked. I ended up adding some bio booster and prime but it didn't help much.
Any updates on the Duncan? Similar situation just happened to me. Shifted some rock, deep cleaned sand bed, etc, etc. and whaddayknow?? Ammonia and nitrite spike ‍♂️!

Duncans and zoas are closed up. 50% water change, dosed prime, added some bac the tank was cycled with… but levels still elevated and corals unhappy. Inverts and fish (osc pair, royal gramma, tailspot blenny) couldn’t seem happier!

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Duncan? Similar situation just happened to me. Shifted some rock, deep cleaned sand bed, etc, etc. and whaddayknow?? Ammonia and nitrite spike ‍♂️!

Duncans and zoas are closed up. 50% water change, dosed prime, added some bac the tank was cycled with… but levels still elevated and corals unhappy. Inverts and fish (osc pair, royal gramma, tailspot blenny) couldn’t seem happier!
My fish are doing just fine like always.... and my green star polyp coral is thriving. It's grown ALOT over the past 2 months. My duncan on the other hand is stubborn. He re-opened but his tentacles are super short and stubby now. He refuses to eat anything. Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, planktons, whatever comes in coral food bottles, you name it, he won't eat it. He just photosynthesizes now. So he'll completely close up at night and "open" in the mornings after the lights turn on and the cycle repeats. Everything in the tanks are perfect levels now so I don't know what his problem is. He's just in a silly goofy mood Ig.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back