Duncan going downhill fast! Please advise.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncan colony is not looking well. I noticed the day before yesterday that one head was closed up but didn't think much of it. Yesterday I noticed that all the heads weren't fully open and tonight it looks like this. I did a little searching and it looks like it might be Brown Jelly Disease. I don't have a QT and I don't have a spare light to set one up. Any thoughts?
IMG_9205.jpg

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like brown jelly rot. Dip it and hope for the best, it can spread. If you can, cut off the dead heads and dip. Best of luck, I've pulled a few through, but lost more then I can count.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be parameter swings, something damaged it (crab, snails, nudibranchs maybe) which caused infection, could be one of many possibilities.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged it up into about 8 sections. Believe it or not it was about 100 heads, I had no idea it was that many. I tossed the worst heads, then vigorously dipped (shook underwater) what was left in ReVive & clean seawater. Got them all what looks to be clean. A lot of goop came off of them. They're all back in the tank. Here's hoping at least some of them survive. The only other LPS I have in the tank is a 6 or 7 headed Acan. Hopefully it doesn't spread to them...

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on if it makes it. Would be good for other members who might have similar issues. It's works for me on a hammer coral previously.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, they're not really opening up all the way but the seem to be surviving. Fed them all yesterday and probably will again tomorrow.

IMG_9209.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back