My son's
IMG_20190819_121601251.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
darn word correct. . 1-2 teaspoons

I usually put some in the bottom of a shot glass and add about 6-7ml of tank water and mix to a paste and target feed my coral including my Duncan. and you are right, as soon as I started using reef roids, I noticed a huge growth in the duncans and candy canes! stuff works great! I usually have some left over and ill add more tank water to it so its really watered down and then ill drop some of that in at night before the lights go out so the tentacles from the corals can eat too lol.

I feed twice a week and I do water changes the day after I feed. 5 gallon changes in the 29g. keeps the nitrates down because i don't run a skimmer or fuge. and plus my sons like helping with the water changes!

my Duncan used to look like the pic above for the first 2 weeks it was in the tank, I think it just needed to get acclimated to the tank and the parameters. as of today, it extends and flows around a lot! one of my favorite corals in the tank for sure! my son named it " Hines "

OP
OP
Bruce7267ad

Bruce7267ad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is at 1.023 my dkh is at 11i don't have a tester for mag yet. But I just set up the quarintine tank for my frags a couple days ago and the salt I'm using is instant ocean reef crystals so atleast I know it's getting some mag along with a few trace minerals.
It might be how I dipped it. I had one of those little coral rx packets and a normal tupaware dish I only added half or so of the RX packet because the whole thing would be able to mix up 2 gals. Of water. Mabey I shocked it?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is at 1.023 my dkh is at 11i don't have a tester for mag yet. But I just set up the quarintine tank for my frags a couple days ago and the salt I'm using is instant ocean reef crystals so atleast I know it's getting some mag along with a few trace minerals.
It might be how I dipped it. I had one of those little coral rx packets and a normal tupaware dish I only added half or so of the RX packet because the whole thing would be able to mix up 2 gals. Of water. Mabey I shocked it?

You have to be careful with dips. I always use less than the manufacturer states. If you used half of the packet, you should have made at least a gallon of dip. An over concentrated dip can at the best, stress coral, or at the worst, kill it.

How long did you leave it in the dip?

OP
OP
Bruce7267ad

Bruce7267ad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be careful with dips. I always use less than the manufacturer states. If you used half of the packet, you should have made at least a gallon of dip. An over concentrated dip can at the best, stress coral, or at the worst, kill it.

How long did you leave it in the dip?
About 5 mins

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Raise that salt to 1.025. Temp should be 77-78 deg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on you for dipping. I don't use Coral RX so not familiar with proper solution, but could definitely contribute. Unlikely to kill.

Also, ALK at 11 is OK, but a coral coming from 8dkh (common level for many online vendors) is gonna hate it for a while. Always ask for parameters; you will then know:
a) how stressful or not the acclimation will be
b) if you like a vendor, consider copying their parameters

Last point --and a few vendors point this out -- if a coral comes to you out of a dark box 30+ hours later, don't pop it under an LED right out of your dip. That is like drinking 1/2 a bottle of Mescal and looking into a flashlight 5 hours later. Not that I would know. Just imagining an example of course.

My deliveries QT in an LPS tank at 150-200 PAR T5 light for a couple days before a Bayer dip and magnify glass inspection for eggs/bite marks/pests. Any hint of trouble then I cut it and remount. QT for another 6 days and dip/inspect. Might repeat if anything looks off still. Then into frag tank.

No, I did not always have QT tanks, but did my best to replicate the above. The overriding theme here is to match parameters and reduce acclimation stress. AND dip.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good on you for dipping. I don't use Coral RX so not familiar with proper solution, but could definitely contribute. Unlikely to kill.

Also, ALK at 11 is OK, but a coral coming from 8dkh (common level for many online vendors) is gonna hate it for a while. Always ask for parameters; you will then know:
a) how stressful or not the acclimation will be
b) if you like a vendor, consider copying their parameters

Last point --and a few vendors point this out -- if a coral comes to you out of a dark box 30+ hours later, don't pop it under an LED right out of your dip. That is like drinking 1/2 a bottle of Mescal and looking into a flashlight 5 hours later. Not that I would know. Just imagining an example of course.

My deliveries QT in an LPS tank at 150-200 PAR T5 light for a couple days before a Bayer dip and magnify glass inspection for eggs/bite marks/pests. Any hint of trouble then I cut it and remount. QT for another 6 days and dip/inspect. Might repeat if anything looks off still. Then into frag tank.

No, I did not always have QT tanks, but did my best to replicate the above. The overriding theme here is to match parameters and reduce acclimation stress. AND dip.
This is the advice I like to see. I always introduce fish and coral at very low light. It is basically burning up coral under high white/daylight in a flash. Bad enough they have to adjust to new environmental tank conditions and then light shock?
I use coratRx at straight solution. Smells horrible but very effective

OP
OP
Bruce7267ad

Bruce7267ad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I used to much rx but my saving Grace is I rinsed it pretty good in fresh rodi water before putting into quarintine tank.
I showed thought 8 or 9 dkh is what I was shooting for. Wow instant ocean reef crystals is strong

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I used to much rx but my saving Grace is I rinsed it pretty good in fresh rodi water before putting into quarintine tank.
I showed thought 8 or 9 dkh is what I was shooting for. Wow instant ocean reef crystals is strong
Rx is potent. I too do quick RO Rinse as I do Not want rx in my display tank !!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use IORC and it does mix high dKH(11) relative to my tank (8ish). I am only doing 15% every 10-14 days and my ALK/Ca consumption is quite high so it only shows as a small blip up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back