Duncan vs Hammer

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

just looking for a bit of guidance and a steer here. I have a Fluval spec marine (basically the Fluval evo 13.5G) but a 16 gal version. All with the stock setup / lighting etc which is
It’s been up and running for over 3 months now and is stocked with 2 clowns, 3 hermits and 2 turbo snails.

I’m now looking to start introducing some corals. I have a small Rasta zoa which I have just put in the tank and is doing well. I’m looking at either a Duncan or a Hammer and hope maybe my clowns will host in one.

Out of these two what do people recommend? I’m a newbie at keeping corals so not looking for anything which is difficult to keep.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are undemanding ime. Hammers are more aggressive toward other corals, but if you hope to have one host clowns (rare) it is your best choice. Why not get both?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really either is a good option. If I had to chose one, I would probably go with the duncans. I just love the look of them, they are easy to keep, and grow fairly fast!

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are undemanding ime. Hammers are more aggressive toward other corals, but if you hope to have one host clowns (rare) it is your best choice. Why not get both?
I would like to get both in the near future but am just adding to the tank slowly at the moment.

I’ve seen a small yellow hammer for £29 and a rustic blue and green Duncan colony for £50 so I’m weighing up which to get first.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for a hammer. I added them super early on and they're doing great. Duncans just don't seem to like me, even though I can keep it alive it isn't thriving.

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very simular in care.
I've never had a clown host in either. I have had them host in mushrooms, leathers and of coarse nems.
I would like a nem but with the stock light that’s not an option for me.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't want fish hosting corals, they most likely won't regardless. And Stony based corals can eventually die from it. Def would go with a branching hammer though, very hearty.

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for a hammer. I added them super early on and they're doing great. Duncans just don't seem to like me, even though I can keep it alive it isn't thriving.
Funny, but I had the opposite experience. Duncan’s took off for me from the start, but for some reason the hammer didn’t seem to like me.

Bandito Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get them all I provided some pictures for reference there’s a lot to pick from in this hobby find the ones that you like hope that help as you can see I love them all
3B38B6BE-D87F-4C35-AB07-30C00B90D7D4.jpeg
E6967CEF-E2F5-40D1-8D10-F833BDAC3C1D.jpeg
09613880-2C2B-4D6E-A796-72C832E2C1A4.jpeg
7C0428DF-FB13-44DF-AE50-2FDBF011E7AD.jpeg

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

just looking for a bit of guidance and a steer here. I have a Fluval spec marine (basically the Fluval evo 13.5G) but a 16 gal version. All with the stock setup / lighting etc which is
It’s been up and running for over 3 months now and is stocked with 2 clowns, 3 hermits and 2 turbo snails.

I’m now looking to start introducing some corals. I have a small Rasta zoa which I have just put in the tank and is doing well. I’m looking at either a Duncan or a Hammer and hope maybe my clowns will host in one.

Out of these two what do people recommend? I’m a newbie at keeping corals so not looking for anything which is difficult to keep.
I’m a hammer fan. Love them. Duncan’s are also nice

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back