Dunc's 75 Gallon Reef Tank (in the making)

duncangweller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I thought, (as it seems to be the thing to do around here) that I would make a thread on the makings of what I hope will be my sweet-*** salty tank.

So far I have a 75 gallon (48L x 20H x 18D) tank with a 33 gallon sump tank. I (I say I, but mainly the misses) built a custom stand to support my tank and also house my sump and day to day bits and pieces, and i finished staining it yesterday, and now i have to do the gloss clear coat finish.

My goodies have been arriving in dribs and drabs from Bulk Reef Supply and now Dr Foster and Smith. I have purchased 70lb of dry rock, which is currently curing in a rubbermaid container in the garage and has been so since last sunday, I have a Koralia 1050 powerhead, and old powerhead and a Jager heater in there, along with about 25 gallons of saltwater.

I am waiting on my Reef Octopus NWB150 skimmer, overflow box, Mag 9 (950gph pump), 80lb of sand, RO/DI system and bio spira to be delivered.

I am having some baffles made for my sump by a local glass shop and will await for the arrival of my skimmer before i silicone them in place as to make sure i get enough space for my skimmer. I shall also take my tank to a somewhat local LFS to get three holes drilled (for the herbie method) to transport water into my sump and then back into the DT. Once that has been done then i'll have a crack at the plumbing.

I still have to make a canopy for the tank and decide what lights (I'm not entirely clued in about lights yet) are going to go in there, plus I will buy a couple of smaller power heads to maintain circulation.

I eventually plan on having fish and soft corals, maybe one day i will progress into hard corals, but for the time being Im happy just having some water in a tank.

So.....I think that is everything so far, It has been pretty exciting up to now. Ive just got to wait it out now!

I will attach photos if and when I find my camera or when my mobile returns from being mended.

thanks for every ones help so far and watch this space.

Dunc

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thx for sharing your build. Look forward to pics and progression:)

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be tagging along. Sounds like you are getting some good stuff together. :canada:

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r cant wait to follow along as you progress keep the updates coming

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a great build going, will be following along to see how things come along and look foward to seeing pictures when you are able to post them :D

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Dunc and welcome to r2r. Sounds like a sweet set up. Why not part some pics of the process

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start so far, looking forward to the rest of this build!

Have you given any thought what direction this tank will go in terms of corals and/or aquascaping?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back