Durso not starting

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My durso drain has been not starting lately. It acts like it is air locked. The tank has been up for a year and a half and this has been happening for a month or 2. There is a vent hole in the top, and 2 holes in the sides, just below the waterline. Any idea what is causing this? I have taken it all apart and inspected for blockage and there are none. It is also flowing the same amount as always, so I don't know?

To get it to start, I close and open the shut off valve a few times and it goes. Any ideas?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting issue! Can you share pictures of the durso from the top and/or side as well as the valve?

OP
OP
S

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting issue! Can you share pictures of the durso from the top and/or side as well as the valve?
I will take it later, but it is a standard durso setup, and the valve is a cepex ball valve, from BRS.

202400-Schedule-80-Cepex-Union-Ball-Valve-grouped-a_1.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using a Durso, which is a single drain set up, I wouldn’t restrict the drain at all as that’s an accident waiting to happen. Your Durso should run wide open with no restrictions. Valving back the primary drain is for Herbie or Beananimal set ups, where there are secondary and emergency drains should the restricted primary clog.

OP
OP
S

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re using a Durso, which is a single drain set up, I wouldn’t restrict the drain at all as that’s an accident waiting to happen. Your Durso should run wide open with no restrictions. Valving back the primary drain is for Herbie or Beananimal set ups, where there are secondary and emergency drains.

The valve is always wide open. Only closed if I need to separate the DT from my sump

OP
OP
S

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that water flows into the drain and then backs up?

Water goes into the overflow, and just keeps rising until the drain is fully under water, and it keeps rising.no water goes to the sump. I open and close the valve a few times and it releases and drains again.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, your plumbing in the overflow box is not permanently glued. I would take it apart and search for obstructions.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to checking for a blockage, for the purpose of troubleshooting can you take the top part off to see if it will drain with an open top tube? Secondly, is there a way to replumb temporarily to remove the valve? Thirdly, can you temporarily shorten the tube or drop the water level in the sump so the discharge isn’t below the water level?

OP
OP
S

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to checking for a blockage, for the purpose of troubleshooting can you take the top part off to see if it will drain with an open top tube? Secondly, is there a way to replumb temporarily to remove the valve? Thirdly, can you temporarily shorten the tube or drop the water level in the sump so the discharge isn’t below the water level?

1 yes
2, no really. I will remove the valve tonight and make sure it isn't blocked. But I had checked earlier
3. will try and report back

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back