Dussumieri Tang - On the wish list

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a Dussumieri Tang swimming around? How is its temperament, what size tank? I need some pictures please!!!

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have an Aussie duss in my QT tub awaiting my 960g to get established.
They can be a lil aggressive but for an acanthurus they aren’t near the top. I had a pacific duss that was a lil testy at first to my larger fowleri but then settled in and was fine.
I have a 3.5” fowleri going through ttm at moment and will put him in the 960 first and let him get in for a week before I add the duss. But they will be my on my two acanthurus species.
The rest of my tangs will be zebrasomas and a blonde naso

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be a lil aggressive but for an acanthurus they aren’t near the top. I had a pacific duss that was a lil testy at first to my larger fowleri but then settled in and was fine.
I have a 3.5” fowleri going through ttm at moment and will put him in the 960 first and let him get in for a week before I add the duss. But they will be my on my two acanthurus species.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I picked up a Fowleri a few months ago and absolutely love him. I had been looking for almost two years!

Delfino Delights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, they are not aggressive at all when first introduced but once it's established it becomes very territorial. Best things you can do is provide it tones of flow and some nice rock work for it to play around.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are gorgeous Brandon! I saw one of these in a store somewhere in the last year, and couldn't get over how pretty it and the powder blue that was with it were. Grows to over a foot which I'm sure you have seen, so when is the upgrade coming, because I want to watch lol?

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go!!! not aggressive but as stated need an 8ft tank to grow because they do it fast. LOL

065.JPG

067.JPG

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are gorgeous Brandon! I saw one of these in a store somewhere in the last year, and couldn't get over how pretty it and the powder blue that was with it were. Grows to over a foot which I'm sure you have seen, so when is the upgrade coming, because I want to watch lol?
Waiting to see what the next six months bring. Work has been expanding to new areas, and I am waiting to see if relocation might be an option before I build anything. I think I have caught the Florida fever.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS near me has two in a 20,000l tank. One of them must be not far off 2ft long, I think even an 8ft tank would be two small for a fully grown adult

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it unless your tank is a swimming pool. These literally get to 15 lbs plus and over 2 ft long. Very unsuitable for an aquarium.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I love my Australian Dussumieri tang (aka "Deuce"). I've had him for about three years. Started off around 4" and is about 12" now. He has always been the most laid-back tang I've ever had; even when he wasn't the largest in the tank. Now of course he's the man because of his size. I recently transferred tanks due to moving and put him in with my 8-10" Sohal. He could have cared less about the Sohal and the Sohal immediately knew who was the boss. LOL! Sohal is a bit of a bully but he doesn't mess with "Deuce".

20220224_214719.jpg 20220225_195536.jpg 20220225_195538.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I love my Australian Dussumieri tang (aka "Deuce"). I've had him for about three years. Started off around 4" and is about 12" now. He has always been the most laid-back tang I've ever had; even when he wasn't the largest in the tank. Now of course he's the man because of his size. I recently transferred tanks due to moving and put him in with my 8-10" Sohal. He could have cared less about the Sohal and the Sohal immediately knew who was the boss. LOL! Sohal is a bit of a bully but he doesn't mess with "Deuce".

20220224_214719.jpg 20220225_195536.jpg 20220225_195538.jpg
That tilefish is beautiful! Same with the dussumieri. The question is, how reef safe are the larger acanthurids?

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tilefish is beautiful! Same with the dussumieri. The question is, how reef safe are the larger acanthurids?
For the most part I keep my large tangs in a FOWLR setup and my coral in a smaller tank. That said I recently put my 10 inch Clown tang in my coral tank and he hasn't even looked at any of the coral. Not sure about inverts. Only invert in there is a hermit crab and he hasn't touched it either. In my FOWLR I have starfish and snails and never had a problem with any of the tangs bothering them either.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few more pics. These guys are awesome. My favorite tang by far (and I have a bunch of them:p).

20220313_162457.jpg 20220313_161658.jpg
20220313_161705.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back