Dustin’s Sobering Sunshine Build

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im excited to announce I got the go ahead from the Wife to purchase a new setup. I really didnt want to say anything, but I feel like it would help with the process... 54 days ago I checked myself into a rehab for drinking and smoking alot of weed. I was just a useless terd. Im still going to outpatient therapy and also hitting a.a meetings almost everyday as well. I have a great sponsor, working on the steps, and building a better relationship with my higher power. I really didnt want to include this, but I believe this will help me not only with my recovery, but also let the reef2reef family have a better understanding of who I really am. During these 54 days I have been staying super busy on reefing projects to keep my mind off things. Ive been cleaning and maintaining my display tank like no other. Also setup a 25 gallon AIO frag tank which Im pretty proud of. I have a nice collection of corals already and am getting great growth.

e7e0d0fe66f774249452d54319b96d47.jpg

696b4c5399d459aa6e5eec0f392959f4.jpg

89b13f91a9b54a76c25154141233c7b3.jpg

super stoked. Im going all out on this one. I currently have a 72 gallon bowfront with a 30 gallon sump... Although it has been a great tank. I thought because I have so much time and much more money now, It was time to upgrade. Ive been selling my wife on the red sea reefer tanks for the past 2 weeks and finally tonight she gave me the nod. During that time she said ok to getting a red sea reefer max nano, which is currently on its way, but that wasnt enough... While the Wife and I were out at dinner tonight for our 7th anniversay, which is tomorrow she said I could purchase everything I need to build my dream reef tank. Here is the fun part and why I called this the sobering sunshine build. Just sounds fit for the circumstances. Im going for the red sea reefer xxl 625!!! Totally pumped about this because not only is it my second build, but its going to be a crazy FUN build. I already have 150lbs of dry rock curing in a 55 gallon drum in the garage and I have another 100 lbs on the way. Getting these badboys cooking so Im ready when everything arives. Shout out to billys reef connection for the super cheap dry rock. Great quality and look for the price per lb.

b9ca27689c99e39781acf819b87ccbde.jpg

f403238d961fdf3db1b091fead267818.jpg

3f5f93939b76b993b93c4baab044a38b.jpg

Here is the list of things I will be purchasing in the next month;

Red sea reefer xxl 625
2X Ecotech radion xr30 pros
2X Ecotech mp40
Ecotech vectra l1
Bubble magus curve d8
61” Aquatic life t5 hybrid light fixture
Apex beginner setup

This will be the room it will be going in:

fc14e814761126e023dec456f8cfd1ea.jpg

While Im scrounging up some extra cash the next few weeks I will be also setting up my mixing station and also plumbing it from my garage to where the reefer will be going. Also painting the wall in the display room to better set the vibe in the room. I will be using these three 55 gallon drums for the mixing station.

e88d9205369d9d47084b20eba806e4b3.jpg

Very excited about this build guys. I have a hard time sleeping at night because I just cant stop thinking about it. Been dreaming about this for a long time and the dream is finally coming true. Im excited to start this project and have both my little boys to help me out. Good quality father/son time. I really didnt want to explain my personal situation, but I think its proper for everyone to understand the true motivation behind this build; my true love for reefing and also most important, staying healthy and sober for not only me, but my family as well. Thanks for reading guys and stay tuned to see everything come together... Much Love,
Dustin

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good! Congratulations on the new system! Keep us updated in the build.

Your in our thoughts and prayers. I ask God to give me strength everyday with my health issues. Praying is a good thing. Hang in there!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited and proud! Excited about your dream build and proud of you for taking care of you and sharing with us. Great looking family and I'm sure they are proud of you as well! Can't wait to see the build!

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... just picked up an apex lite for the red sea nano. $250 for everything including shipping. Super stoked on that. Might be overkill, but it will be nice to learn on... Need to find out how to hook up to router when i get it to get wifi

19a0632f724fdfe38b5207e38b806920.jpg

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a good tutorial video or guide on how to hook the apex lite up wirelessly?

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to use this? Ive had this lying around... my hard wired router is up stairs, not too sure about how I would go about this......
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
So I scored today... bought 3 ai hydra 26 hd for $150!!!!! No joke... It was from the same dude that sold me the jbj 1/4hp chiller... super cool guy... yes, he knew what he was selling and he didnt mind basically giving them away. I would have to say that is what we call a “God-Shot” in recovery... so stoked... Only issue is he does not remember if they were hd or not... does anyone know a way to find out? also canceled the red sea reefer max nano and instead ordering the red sea 250... I just dont think I would have been happy with that small of a tank. Also its awesome because now I have 2 hydras I can put on it and the 3rd im gonna put on my frag tank. Going to sell the sbox 16” pro if anyone is interested... things are coming along nicely I would have to say... only issue im having is hooking up the hydras right now... they wont connect to wifi because im guessing they were registered through the dude i bought them from. Shot an email to ai, so im hoping they can help me with that small road block... i dont have any serial numbers either. I also got a director as well in that deal... having issues hooking that up as well... hopefully gets solved easily... stay tuned

58e0c9fd8f127f33c8034249bdba9709.jpg

f388bf4c52db0e305fa7e6473e6a149c.jpg

2e4287fea9207da65b5aab9d4b5b4f8a.jpg

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They arent the HD model... sucks!!! Still a great deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question if someone can help me out... is my reef octopus 152s going to be overkill on that red sea 250?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, it's rated up to 150 if I remember correctly. I would rather have one rated to high than to have one teetering on the edge or under rated.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, it's rated up to 150 if I remember correctly. I would rather have one rated to high than to have one teetering on the edge or under rated.

I have it on my current display. When I get the 250 im going to let it cycle. When its ready Im going to move livestock over from my display to the reefer 250. Anyone locally interested in that setup just let me know... Tank, stand and sump. Tank is drilled and has glassholes overflow... Its a 72 gallon bowfront with a Eshopps 30 gallon berlin style sump. Extra filter socks as well

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your sobriety! As a fellow alcoholic, I totally understand what you’re going through. Work hard for your sobriety and you’ll be rewarded in ways you never expected. My addiction resulted in the stoppage of this hobby I completely love. After 6 years of being clean, I am now back at it with new found passion.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your sobriety! As a fellow alcoholic, I totally understand what you’re going through. Work hard for your sobriety and you’ll be rewarded in ways you never expected. My addiction resulted in the stoppage of this hobby I completely love. After 6 years of being clean, I am now back at it with new found passion.

Dude... love the words... thanks alot man... Thats motivation right there... good stuff!!!

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im excited to announce I got the go ahead from the Wife to purchase a new setup. I really didnt want to say anything, but I feel like it would help with the process... 54 days ago I checked myself into a rehab for drinking and smoking alot of weed. I was just a useless terd. Im still going to outpatient therapy and also hitting a.a meetings almost everyday as well. I have a great sponsor, working on the steps, and building a better relationship with my higher power. I really didnt want to include this, but I believe this will help me not only with my recovery, but also let the reef2reef family have a better understanding of who I really am. During these 54 days I have been staying super busy on reefing projects to keep my mind off things. Ive been cleaning and maintaining my display tank like no other. Also setup a 25 gallon AIO frag tank which Im pretty proud of. I have a nice collection of corals already and am getting great growth.

Good for you, man. I'm working on 4 years myself and reef keeping is the only thing that's ever brought me total peace in life. I promise your journey gets easier over time if you continue to do the right things.

Your build is off to a great start and I'm excited to see how it shapes up. Welcome!

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
So I sold the hydras to fund some more stuff needed for the build. Bought a ecotech vectra s1 return pump for the reefer 250. I now have everything to fill tank and start cycle. While its cycling I will be saving to purchase everything else needed to finish project. Still need mp10 and lights...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back