Dustin’s Sobering Sunshine Build

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fear of introducing any harmful pathogens from that water source? On a side note to help me with my issues I reward myself with a new frag or something hobby related after reaching a new time frame goal. It works for me. Keep it up. Following your build

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fear of introducing any harmful pathogens from that water source? On a side note to help me with my issues I reward myself with a new frag or something hobby related after reaching a new time frame goal. It works for me. Keep it up. Following your build

Its sink water and its under the cabinet... I have the same system for my old display and frag tank and its been running for iver 3 years... Never had an issue... bathrooms in our house are the cleanist place in the entire pad... Not sure why you would think it would be a problem unless someone pooped in the reservoir...
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG

First picture is my rodi setup in my laundry room and the other is the new one in bathroom... exactly same setup, just I hung one on the wall and the other didnt bother

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for everyone? Was thinking of cycling tank with filtered Scripps water down by the pier. Were going to Birch aquarium with the boys this weekend and thought about filling up two of my 55 gallon drums up with Scripps water to cycle tank... Any thoughts on this?
LOL the Scripps water I was wondering about. Not sure what that is, (ocean water?)

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL the Scripps water I was wondering about. Not sure what that is, (ocean water?)

Hahahahahha!!! awghhhhh, I see now... yeah the water is good... Its filtered water that they use at the Birch Aquarium... used it alot awhile back, but its over an hour away... now I have these barrels... so im just gonna fill them up and use the water for cycling... once its cycled I will switch to salt mix... alot of people in San Diego use that water... there is literally a tap at the end of the peir

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up Dustin, they actually moved the Spicket for the water, and it is no longer at the end of the pier. It is just up the street a little bit in front of NOAA facility. I can text you a map of the new location.

It’s good water and I used it for years, but it’s low in magnesium and other trace elements, but it’s also extremely beneficial for starting new tanks because it is full of beneficial bacteria. Ever single tank I have started, I have used scripps. Even when I moved my large system, I used scripps as the top off water.

It will also cut your cycle time down to a very minnimal amount of time.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up Dustin, they actually moved the Spicket for the water, and it is no longer at the end of the pier. It is just up the street a little bit in front of NOAA facility. I can text you a map of the new location.

It’s good water and I used it for years, but it’s low in magnesium and other trace elements, but it’s also extremely beneficial for starting new tanks because it is full of beneficial bacteria. Ever single tank I have started, I have used scripps. Even when I moved my large system, I used scripps as the top off water.

It will also cut your cycle time down to a very minnimal amount of time.

Text me

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85db031bd1e4f0ff967fd20e22dabe64.jpg

417f4321296108256b64cf2e5c23195a.jpg

Turned the ATO into a refugium. Put old live rock rubble from last tank in and some chaeto, caulerpa, dragons breath and some shaving brush in. Looks pretty good so far. Really need to start on hard plumbing and cable organization... Its a mess down there... sheesh!!!

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need photos !!!!

Ill get some this weekend. I have cords and tubes everywhere... Really just need to suck it up and hard plumb and organize all the wires... I have everything I need... Just not confident on the plumbing part and waiting for the t5 hybrid fixture... got the white fixture coming... Im really contemplating on using my t5/mh hybrid fixture... it looks like alot of people are going back to halides... so its nice to have options

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question if someone can help me out... is my reef octopus 152s going to be overkill on that red sea 250?
Would that happen to be an octo Regal 150 sss? The one with the VarioS pump? I've got one ordered should be here tomorrow.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93b0918762d271f4ccd6022e7dc2605e.jpg

Ordered some mangroves, but didnt realize they were gonna be so big... Gotta redo the fuge this weekend... I plan on doing some cord management this weekend as well. Just wanna make sure I have most of the controllers and modules so I have enough room in cabinet... Also still waiting on that white aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture... then I have pretty much everything I ordered...
bf85d549480d3a890080d6647ff9e173.jpg
e367449267bf9e15cb03f4237993225b.jpg
Gotta get this cluster-**** organized... its driving me nuts... converted this medicine cabinet by removing the mirror and added a polycarbonate sheet to see through it... love how that turned out...
1189b762f5a41410ecd1afea032e4b8b.jpg

c4185e99218c59d1f03650da98d9a206.jpg

Then I just need to suck it up and get some quality time to take an inventory of all the plumbing supplies I need to hard plumb this thing. Got these aquamaxx reactors to include as well...
07f55e08495b480ff2b79d73f59a6385.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back