Dusty looking new saltwater

  • Thread starter Thread starter masssnapz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

masssnapz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
315
Reaction score
169
Location
Pepperell
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new frag tank and last night I mixed up some IO reef crystals in 2 rubbermaid trash cans that I usually use for just storing ro di. I mixed it for a few hours and started pumping it into the tank but I noticed it is very dusty looking. Not milky looking white like when you add 2 part alk to saltwater but just dusty looking.
I have never had this happen before and most of the google results come back with hits for things like people adding the water to the salt or adding it all way to fast. Nothing relevant in the searches comes back with a conclusion.

I mixed both barrels with my rw8 at full power and slowly added the salt over 20 minutes each barrel until it appeared clear and continued to mix the water over night in tank.

The water params match closely to what they are supposed to mix up to according to IO.
The barrels were clean and the tank was rinsed well before.
what the heck is the dust ?

Edit: almost forgot to add that there in no sand or rock in the tank yet.

Edit 2: I ran a sponge filter from dbp the ones that are super dense all night and the sponge didnt filter anything out of the water and the filter doesnt look like it caught anything either.
 
What salt are you using?
 
That could be your issue. You should be fine, just have a longer mixing time
 
I use the same salt......i mixed mine with a spatula like spongebob. I never had that issue. How old is the salt? Could be a bad batch if new (possibly)
 
I use the same salt......i mixed mine with a spatula like spongebob. I never had that issue. How old is the salt? Could be a bad batch if new (possibly)
That could be your issue. You should be fine, just have a longer mixing time
Its definitly not the salt, I have been using this salt for my past two water changes and the bag has been open less than 2 weeks, then stored in air tight bucket. One was the night before i mixed this batch. Its actually clearing up really fast tonight. When I got home at 5pm est there was no change from the night before and now 5 hours later it is almost as clear as ro/di water.

Is there some dormant bacteria in reef crystals that could have bloomed from the large amount of water I was making.
 
Its definitly not the salt, I have been using this salt for my past two water changes and the bag has been open less than 2 weeks, then stored in air tight bucket. One was the night before i mixed this batch. Its actually clearing up really fast tonight. When I got home at 5pm est there was no change from the night before and now 5 hours later it is almost as clear as ro/di water.

Is there some dormant bacteria in reef crystals that could have bloomed from the large amount of water I was making.
It's possible....but unlikely.
What's your parameters?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new