Dusty's Fluval Pico

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One never is enough.... so I have a friend that got me a killer deal on a Fluval Spec V 5 gallon AIO tank. This one probably isn't going to be a reef tank... well I say that now but as for now it's only going to be a FOWLR tank. My LFS has some really nice looking real reef rock he got in and that's pretty much why I wanted this tank. The stock lighting, filtration, and return pump will be getting ditched and upgraded.

The stock lighting is LED and that's kinda neat but they're white on only or 2 small blue night lights on only. Since this will be fowlr I'm not going to invest into the lighting too much. My LFS sells 18" LED tube style lights for $40 it has white and blue and he uses them at the shop so I've seen the fish and rock under them and they look good so I'll start there.

The filtration is ok. But like all of us, we can make it better and more simple! Lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need some pics!

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried posting them last night. My phone doesn't like me posting pictures sometimes haha. Let me try again.
20160425_220729.jpg
20160425_220709.jpg

So for filtration I'll just be using filter floss and chemipure like in my biocube.

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I don't have my light yet since I still don't know where I'm putting this tank hahah

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like payday got pushed out a few days but that's ok. Still trying to figure out where I'm putting this little tank lol. Our house isn't that big, so finding a spot for it isn't that easy. I was originally thinking about putting it in my daughters room as "her tank" but I like keeping an eye on my tanks. If only I could get my lady to get rid of the desk... well if that happened this would be a thread about my 90 gallon tank not 5 gallon haha.

Anyway, like any tank it's a work in progress lol

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 8 pounds of live rock and 6 pounds of number 3 sand that is currently drying after a good freshwater rinse.

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1462762588371915827905.jpg

View from the side. I guess it's technically the front as this is more of a peninsula tank.

I tried adding some LED strips I had laying around just for a little colour change but they wouldn't work for some reason. Oh well.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting some bio-spira to skip the cycling stage.

My daughter decided the first fish will be a strawberry dottyback.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking rock scape! Looking forward to to seeing more. Nanos are great for some of us. :D

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Chrisfish ! I don't know what it is about small tanks I just like them so much more! My close buddy has a 180gallon and his is nice and big and all but I still wouldn't trade it for my 90 and that's not even set up yet!

Thank you @icedgxe! I had to go digging to the bottom of the rock tank at my LFS for these pieces. Good thing they had plenty of towels hahah!!

Tateopotatoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1462762588371915827905.jpg

View from the side. I guess it's technically the front as this is more of a peninsula tank.

I tried adding some LED strips I had laying around just for a little colour change but they wouldn't work for some reason. Oh well.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting some bio-spira to skip the cycling stage.

My daughter decided the first fish will be a strawberry dottyback.
If you want to have other fish in the tank, I would either save the dottyback for later, they can get pretty aggressive. The only fish I would put with them are damsels. Why not go with a royal gramma instead?

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to have other fish in the tank, I would either save the dottyback for later, they can get pretty aggressive. The only fish I would put with them are damsels. Why not go with a royal gramma instead?
Thanks for the heads up. Royal Grammas was definitely on the list as well. Obviously because of the size I'm limited to so many fish I was just looking out for some my daughter would like. I know she likes fire fish so I'm safe on that one.

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update. Talk is cycling right along. I'll be doing a water change later today and hopefully getting fish in probably early next week. Still unsure of what the first fish will be. I started working at my LFS part time to help out on days they receive new stock. The more I'm there, the more I'm falling for wrasses! Such beautiful little fishes.

OP
OP
DustyXB9Reefer

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1463859165709573631776.jpg

Checked ammonia, trite and trate.
Am. 0.25ppm
Trite. 0ppm
Trade 40ppm Wichita is down from 60 ppm before my last water change. Probably do another small water change and add some turbos to clean up the algae on the rocks.

Oh also I added a Korilia (spelling?) 240 for some added flow. You can see it in the picture kinda.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back