Dwarf angels for mixed reef

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coral Beauty now and hope it doesn't nip corals. I've had Cherub Pygmies, and Brazilian Flameback and good luck with all.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a dwarf angel, but I had a juvenile Queen Angel in my tank (about 3" long) and she was devouring my SPS and hammering away at my Hollywood Stunner.

It's one thing if it's an occasional nip at some of the lower end corals, but when she started eating polyps off the Orange Passion...it was time to go!

I currently have a Goldflake Angel in quarantine. Am hoping she is a model citizen when she's introduced to the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key with dwarf angels is to keep them very well fed, not obsess over a little nipping, and plan to rehome any large fleshy polyped corals. I currently have a flame, potters and LemonPeel in my reef.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus are smaller angels, depending on which one, and I understand they are most likely to be "reef safe" 20170516_172059.jpg this is my pair. They are quite lovely. Not as flashy as a CB or a Flame but I love them.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come no one ever mentions the Japanese Swallowtail? I'm SPS dominant with several acropora, acans and a maxima clam. Mine has been a model citizen since day one. Even waits his turn on the nori clip.

IMG_6040.JPG
Ditto. I have that one in my tank. Not the brilliant coloration of an Emperor or Queen, but still a pretty fish and definitely reef safe in my experience.

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I like those guys my tank is too small for them

chowwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pygmy Cherub Angel, never touch my coral, but tend to be very territorial towards my purple fire gobies and perculas

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rusty and Singapore Angels . No issues with them and the corals

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to always have a few in my tank....I had a beautiful Flame Back Angel for many many years and never had an issue. I loved that little guy. Then one day he decided to eat just about everything. Took me weeks to catch him in a trap, as I watch him continue plowing through coral. It seriously got to the point where I was so close to draining the tank. I finally got him in the 3rd trap I tried on the millionth attempt. I will never put another angel in my tank again. If you see me in a store and I say, hey that [insert name] angel would look great in my tank, you have my full permission to punch me right in the face. I don't care what kind it is, there will exist a specimen that will not be typical. To me, its simply not worth the risk. $50 fish vs your entire coral inventory.

don't do it. [insert face punch here]

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tagging along since I would really like to add a dwarf angel at some point. It seems to me that some have success and some don't and there's really no other useful information in your posts.

Perhaps if everyone who posted their success/fail stories would also give us important info like tank size and feeding... We would have better understanding in what type of systems they tend to do well and in what type they don't. Instead of just saying it's pure luck...

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tagging along since I would really like to add a dwarf angel at some point. It seems to me that some have success and some don't and there's really no other useful information in your posts.

Perhaps if everyone who posted their success/fail stories would also give us important info like tank size and feeding... We would have better understanding in what type of systems they tend to do well and in what type they don't. Instead of just saying it's pure luck...

its pure luck. accept it. now decide if you want to roll the dice with your tank.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is just luck, you can't control whether or not an angel will not eat coral. They're animals and have minds of their own. It comes down to if you enjoy the angel enough that you're ok with losing a few corals, or if the corals matter more to you than the fish. If a coral nipper is something you can't have than an angel is not for you, there are tons of other fish options out there.

While out of most people's budgets, I hear a Joculator Angelfish is one of the most reef safe dwarf angels. They're typically kept in mixed reef tanks.

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is just luck, you can't control whether or not an angel will not eat coral. They're animals and have minds of their own. It comes down to if you enjoy the angel enough that you're ok with losing a few corals, or if the corals matter more to you than the fish. If a coral nipper is something you can't have than an angel is not for you, there are tons of other fish options out there.

While out of most people's budgets, I hear a Joculator Angelfish is one of the most reef safe dwarf angels. They're typically kept in mixed reef tanks.

I guess they are just not for me. not at this point any way...

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame as they are stunning fish but I won't ever have one again, I think the only way you can have one is in a very large established reef tank where the nipping can be spread amongst a lot of big colonies.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Flame Angel for my 40B yesterday. Like everyone says,"It is luck" or "It is not if they do it. It is when they do it."
All I cared about was how he was around other fish in the store. There was 10 to choose from. Picked the 3rd nicest looking one, but #1 on the well behaved list after watching him for an hour 3 times. 3 days straight. Came home acclimated well. Ate like a champ! Poop was brown. No signs of ich or velvet. Fingers crossed he keeps his eye on the prize and that is cleaning up my GHA and leaving my gold torches and frog spawns alone.

IMG_20170524_185737.jpg

IMG_20170524_185439.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back