Dwarf angels for mixed reef

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus are smaller angels, depending on which one, and I understand they are most likely to be "reef safe" 20170516_172059.jpg this is my pair. They are quite lovely. Not as flashy as a CB or a Flame but I love them.
That is an awesome pair of wantanbei angels...

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided against angels I'm going to do

1 randals goby + pistol shrimp
1 golden dwarf moray
1 linespot flasher wrasse
2 misbar o clowns

Sound ok?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided against angels I'm going to do

1 randals goby + pistol shrimp
1 golden dwarf moray
1 linespot flasher wrasse
2 misbar o clowns

Sound ok?
Dear lord DO NOT GET A RANDALL'S PRAWN GOBY! I would take a black tip shark cross bred with a dotty back. If you want mine. I will send it to you for free of charge and pay for shipping!

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok why should I not buy a randals goby I'm personally more worried about the fish becoming expensive meals for the moray

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok yeah I read about what your r-g does would probably kill every thing in my tank except the moray and corals if I could get a pod population that would make it where I could possibly get a mandarin

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok yeah I read about what your r-g does would probably kill every thing in my tank except the moray and corals if I could get a pod population that would make it where I could possibly get a mandarin
My spotted mandarin eats everything.
My RPG is a males genitalia! He was hiding all day today. So it was a good day for the tank. This is what he does to fish 2x the size of him. He jaws at them.
Spotted Mandarin is to the left on the LR. RPG went after him yesterday.

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg

RichCalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love dwarf angels, currently I have an Angel Flame and a Coral Beauty (Flame was first and used an aclimatation box for the CB) in a 150g DT; they do get alone. Planning to introduce a Potters in a few weeks after 4 weeks of QT time. No problem with corals so far after a year.

FlamingGrapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree with you more. 24 years ago I got my 1st saltwater tank all because I fell in love with the Flame Angelfish. Still today it's my favorite fish with the Coral Beauty Angel a very close second. I have 3 dwarf angels in my 180. It's all about size differences, abundant hiding places, and adequate food to get dwarfs to coexist. Knock on wood, I have never had a dwarf eat on my corals.

Mordwrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept a Coral Beauty for years with no problems and then one day he nibbled a mushroom Coral and I had to remove that fish within a week before it decimated my mushroom population. Maybe he wasn't getting the nutrition he needed from the dried foods I fed the tank. Lovely fish though... Hated to re-home

OP
OP
Datnerd14

Datnerd14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ultimately decided that dwarfs aren't in my opinion worth the risk

Possibly when I have a fowler system I would give them a try but for the reef I am planning I have decided not to have them just for the potential for my corals being eaten

But on a different risk I'm looking at a rare moray for my tank (which will be a 70 gallon reef with 30 gallon sump) (hopefully that build thread will be cool , definitely something I'm looking forward to)

Back