Dwarf Flame Angel

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jesterrace

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I am currently running a 40 gallon breeder. Do you think it is ok to have a dwarf flame angel in a 40 gallon breeder? I plan on having zoas, hammers and torches for corals. Ive heard the angel will nip at corals. Any help is greatly appreciated
I'm going to say no, mostly because I feel the 40 breeder isn't enough space for a Flame Angel. They tend to be one of the more aggressive Dwarfs and really should have at least 4 feet of horizontal swimming space to do well long term. I had one in my 36 gallon bowfront and it was a jerk in every respect (bullied tank mates and nipped at corals). A Cherubfish would be better suited to a tank your size and they tend to be a bit better behaved with corals (still a risk though).

Here is an example of a Cherubfish:

Jesterrace

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
A 40 breeder is not big enough for flame angel.

There are some 'pygmy' angels in the Centropyge genus that would work. Flame back and cherub are popular ones.
Agreed. Although the Cherubfish would be my pick since Flamebacks are more prone to aggression.

mattzang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
$55 for a cherub oh my liveaquaria..

if you get one of those check out kpaquatics or reeftopia, they're like $15-20

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this and I would also say no to a flame in a 40.
I have had mine from a baby, it could swim through egg crate.
It is in approx 125 G but my tank is divided into two with a swim through hole to allow fish and creatures to move between them.
Angels love to swim and explore, if I isolate the sides the flame goes stir crazy after a day or two in one end of the other.

DSC_0071 (1024x689).jpg

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

bradt24

View Badges
Reaction score
It is in approx 125 G but my tank is divided into two with a swim through hole to allow fish and creatures to move between them.
Angels love to swim and explore, if I isolate the sides the flame goes stir crazy after a day or two in one end of the other.

DSC_0071 (1024x689).jpg
Curious as to why you split your tank in two?

Cheers

ca1ore

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
40b is a push for a flame angel. Fish that are cramped will often exhibit unfortunate behaviors, including nipping. You should also expect that dwarf angels will nip. Not all of them do, but enough that it’s the prudent assumption. Whether it’s tolerable is more about the reefer than the fish. If you’re going to freak out at the first nip, don’t get one.

Opm

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve had a Flame angel & lemon peel Angel in 350 litre for 5 yrs never had a problem, Lemon peel dominates

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score

DSC_0071 (1024x689).jpg
What about a flame back?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
What about a 93 cube? Undecided on which Tang. Probably just a yellow. Either introduced together as juveniles or flame last.

OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Potential stocking list for my 40 gallon breeder. I already have the clowns and the 12 hermits and 3 crabs. I will have the 3 zoas and gsp beginning of feb. What do y’all think?

937985A5-C896-419F-9BB2-B7CCF83946BE.jpeg

Legendary Corals

What do you LOVE most about the hobby?

• The Coral

Votes: 212 28.3%
  • The Fish

Votes: 128 17.1%
  • The Relationships

Votes: 28 3.7%
  • The Equipment

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Other (please explain)