Dwarf Flame Angel

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I am currently running a 40 gallon breeder. Do you think it is ok to have a dwarf flame angel in a 40 gallon breeder? I plan on having zoas, hammers and torches for corals. Ive heard the angel will nip at corals. Any help is greatly appreciated

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo they tend to be okay with coral as long as they are well fed and have nori available and have lots of swimming area
But sometimes you get a rouge one that will nip
Is a 40 gallon breeder ok or do they need a bigger tank?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 is fine they do not get very big. And yes they will probably nip at corals, mine used to love eating the mucus off my sps therefore I had no PE but he did not kill any of them... he had plenty to chew on though and also was in a 40b.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 is fine they do not get very big. And yes they will probably nip at corals, mine used to love eating the mucus off my sps therefore I had no PE but he did not kill any of them... he had plenty to chew on though and also was in a 40b.
Awesome.... Should I introduce the dwarf angel as the last fish to go in?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.... Should I introduce the dwarf angel as the last fish to go in?
if you have calm fish then yes probably as they can be territorial, think you would be fine either way though, cant say for sure as all fish are different.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have calm fish then yes probably as they can be territorial, think you would be fine either way though, cant say for sure as all fish are different.
gotcha. I appreciate it. Currently checking out your site for corals

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tough call I have one in my 100 gallon coral tank I would say make sure all your corals are healthy and then add him keep a very watchful eye though if he starts eating take him back as soon as possible

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy. im 50/50 on a dwarf angel.

I gave it a shot because flame angels are my absolute favorite fish.

Ultimately I'd suggest weighing your options on whether you'd like to make the fish your centerpiece or if it's about the corals. If it's about the fish then go for it. If it's about the corals, grab something else.

With this said, the bit about well fed has zero effect on the nipping. I had an automatic feeder feeding 12 times daily in order to try to get him to stop nipping and there was absolutely no change despite the fact that he was eating very, very well.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave it a shot because flame angels are my absolute favorite fish.

Ultimately I'd suggest weighing your options on whether you'd like to make the fish your centerpiece or if it's about the corals. If it's about the fish then go for it. If it's about the corals, grab something else.

With this said, the bit about well fed has zero effect on the nipping. I had an automatic feeder feeding 12 times daily in order to try to get him to stop nipping and there was absolutely no change despite the fact that he was eating very, very well.
what could be another good centerpiece fish? I want both fish and corals and i absolutely love the flame angels but i dont want to risk corals being killed

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 breeder is not big enough for flame angel.

There are some 'pygmy' angels in the Centropyge genus that would work. Flame back and cherub are popular ones.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what could be another good centerpiece fish? I want both fish and corals and i absolutely love the flame angels but i dont want to risk corals being killed

Maybe a really nice fairy wrasse, and you could go hard with small ornate fish like a rainfordi goby pair, a few basslets and some nice shrimp.

I have a 40 b as well. If I could do it all over, that's what I'd do. I got myself some larger fish so it hard to back track and go with all small reef safe. I still have some fish that are questionably reef safe, and will need to eventually trade in if I can't upgrade tank sizes in time.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few flame angels. Each had a different personality. I had one that would go face first into my bubbler and swim in them. Never any issues with corals.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few flame angels. Each had a different personality. I had one that would go face first into my bubbler and swim in them. Never any issues with corals.
What size?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back