Dwarf golden moray eel

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you cut a feeding up then freeze it in a bag and just defrost the bag. I got it?
I️ take my shrimp, squid, or octopus and cut them up into bite size pieces for the eel. Approx a 1/4” cu. in size. Maybe a little less. Then I️ place each type of food in its own freezer bag. Small bags work fine. I️ could potentially freeze up 10 feedings worth of each food type depending on how much I️ buy from the store. When I️ go to feed him, I’ll choose his food, place the bag in the water to defrost, then poke a defrosted piece from the bag with the skewer to pull it out. Be careful not to poke a hole in your freezer bag, because you don’t want to be letting water get into the bag and then refreeze it. It’ll water down the food and make it so undesirable for your eel. All the juices and what not from the food will seep into the water in the bag if you let that happen.

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaking iOS 11 changed all my “I”s to that stupid square and explanation point!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freaking iOS 11 changed all my “I”s to that stupid square and explanation point!
Is there a way to identify the sex of my eel..? I’m now curious if I should have gotten two as a bonded pair. I keep reading they do really well together.

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to identify the sex of my eel..? I’m now curious if I should have gotten two as a bonded pair. I keep reading they do really well together.
This is something I’m unaware of and actually wondered the same I would like to get a second one at some point that is different in color. Here’s a vid of my GDM. Freaking love him!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Are the specimens from Zoo Collector from Hawaii or Indo?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves squid. He's in a 35g rimless cube with no lid. Plenty of caves for him to feel comfortable... so many I hardly see him any more. Inverts and fish are fine, I haven't seen him try and eat anything but what I give him.
I’m going to revive this old thread because I’m curious if your moray is still living in the lidless tank? Any problems?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to revive this old thread because I’m curious if your moray is still living in the lidless tank? Any problems?

Sadly, that GDM passed away from what I believe to be metal poisoning from contaminated volcanic based black sand. He went on a 4ish month hunger strike shortly after that post and never came out. After I had an ICP test done and found the STUPID high levels of metals, 2000ųm/l Vanadium and 500ųm/l Nickel, I removed him to a nano I had set up as a make shift frag tank with sand and live rock. He did not try and escape that either. He never regained the strength to eat and shortly after that, he passed away.

That 35g is torn down and empty, I have a 90g SCA cube and a Innovative Marine Abyss 20g peninsula dropoff now, both with a Red Sea screen top. I have a new GDM, that started off in my 20g, but after repeated close calls with my royal gramma at feeding time, the eel has been moved to the 90g. The smallest fish in there is an unswallowable sapphire damsel, so they are all safe. He has still snapped at the damsel. He usually eats every other night, if not every night. If I miss two days of feeding, he tries to catch a fish altho they are all too big to swallow. My past eels have been laid back and usually only ate once a week, not this one... very voracious appetite.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, that GDM passed away from what I believe to be metal poisoning from contaminated volcanic based black sand. He went on a 4ish month hunger strike shortly after that post and never came out. After I had an ICP test done and found the STUPID high levels of metals, 2000ųm/l Vanadium and 500ųm/l Nickel, I removed him to a nano I had set up as a make shift frag tank with sand and live rock. He did not try and escape that either. He never regained the strength to eat and shortly after that, he passed away.

That 35g is torn down and empty, I have a 90g SCA cube and a Innovative Marine Abyss 20g peninsula dropoff now, both with a Red Sea screen top. I have a new GDM, that started off in my 20g, but after repeated close calls with my royal gramma at feeding time, the eel has been moved to the 90g. The smallest fish in there is an unswallowable sapphire damsel, so they are all safe. He has still snapped at the damsel. He usually eats every other night, if not every night. If I miss two days of feeding, he tries to catch a fish altho they are all too big to swallow. My past eels have been laid back and usually only ate once a week, not this one... very voracious appetite.

I’m sorry about the original GDM :( Thats very sad, although I’m glad you were able to catch the issue!
I’d want to keep one with larger more aggressive fish if I did end up trying one. I’m most concerned about the possibility of carpet surfing, and maybe an unfortunate invert or two.
It sounds like you got a very fiery one this time around! Haha did you make pvc caves at all? I think I’d have to in my tank because of the limited rock work.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry about the original GDM :( Thats very sad, although I’m glad you were able to catch the issue!
I’d want to keep one with larger more aggressive fish if I did end up trying one. I’m most concerned about the possibility of carpet surfing, and maybe an unfortunate invert or two.
It sounds like you got a very fiery one this time around! Haha did you make pvc caves at all? I think I’d have to in my tank because of the limited rock work.

I have the caribsea shapes and branch rock in my tank. The shapes made a pretty nice cave that he claimed as his home with the clownfish spawning right outside his hole and the tomini sleeps in the as well. I've learned once established, they don't really carpet surf... it's the first week or so. I still have a screen because I have 5 wrasse, tho if the eel wanted, it could lift the screen up. They acclimate to captivity really well and as long as you can read body language and learn what they like to eat, they are super easy to keep.

Here's a little video I did...

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the caribsea shapes and branch rock in my tank. The shapes made a pretty nice cave that he claimed as his home with the clownfish spawning right outside his hole and the tomini sleeps in the as well. I've learned once established, they don't really carpet surf... it's the first week or so. I still have a screen because I have 5 wrasse, tho if the eel wanted, it could lift the screen up. They acclimate to captivity really well and as long as you can read body language and learn what they like to eat, they are super easy to keep.

Here's a little video I did...

Thanks!! Makes me feel more confident about trying one when I start restocking the tank.
Love your cube as well!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back