Dwarf Lionfish

Brian G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had disease wipe out most of my tank so I am going to start it over and am torn between a dwarf lion tank or another shot at a peaceful community. My question is how much waste do lionfish produce?

Would it be on par with something like a yellow tang or foxface?

Tank is a 120g, 48x24. Stocking would be 2-3 fuzzy lionfish and possibly something to help with algae if it becomes an issue. I have read tang can stress lions so would lean towards a foxface unless there is a better choice.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had tangs in with lions. Not long term but still never had any issues. Dwarf lion bioloads are pretty small compared to their larger counterparts, but will still be more than a fish of similar size. You can keep most other fish with them as long as it can't fit in it's mouth. So no slender fish for you lol

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Housing 3 dwarf lionfish with a tang, foxface or both should be no problem in a 120g. As long as keep it to the 3 lions and a couple other appropriate fish for that size tank, you should have no problem maintaining with reasonable maintenance. I've never had a problem with tangs bothering my lionfish or really heard of any issues out of the norm. Just choose your tang in regards to a 4' tank. I would not put in multiple fuzzies unless they are over 4" and definitively sexed, then a male/female pair would be ok. 4" or less and although you can definitively sex a male, you won't be 100% assured it's a female until over 4" if not 4.5". More than one male in 120g will definitely have angst, and it can prove to be deadly. While i have heard the females will go after each other also, but not to the degree of the males. You may have some temporay success with juveniles, but if you keep them long enough, as adults it usually doen't work out. I would do different species; like a fuzzy, zebra, and a fu. you could even do a medium bodied lion like an antennata, mombasa, or radiata. Please read through some of my other posts for some tips on acclimation, care, and feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lawnmower blenny, or pincushion urchin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They might try to eat the lawnmower. Especially if it is a young lawnmower.

Also a lawnmower blenny would be another bottom dwelling fish and would leave the top kinda empty
We're talking dwarf lions. Lawnmowers such as I I have in each tank run 3-4 inches and are not bite size to a dwarf. Volitan- whole different story

OP
OP
B

Brian G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies and Lion King I will read your posts. I was leaning towards fuzzies since I read they are easier to get eating frozen. Will have to read more about the fu and zebra. I like how mombasa look as well and seem relatively close in size. Are there personality differences?

Sounds like they all might greet you over time in anticipation of being fed which is always nice. Much better than hiding when you approach the tank like some of the smaller fish :)

Vetteguy, I was actually trying to figure out of a blenny would be a good tank mate and it sounds like as long as it is large it would hopefully be fine.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each individual really have their own personality. While fuzzies will tend to be the most outgoing of the bunch, one of my fuzzies right now is somewhat more reserved than others I have had. All of my lions are very active and friendly, you can even find pics of me trying to do maintenance and having to swat them away. I do feed live foods and really wish you would consider adding that into whomever's diet. The stimulation of the hunt keeps them more active as well. As far as size goes, when fully grown with the exception of the fu being smaller, the other dwarfs and medium bodied are very close in size, with the radiata being slightly larger. I would much rather have a tomini tang than a lawnmower, you will definitely need plenty for him to eat or they dont seem to do well as a whole. And unless you get a grandpa, my lions would devour him, then you are looking a short life span.

OP
OP
B

Brian G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son had a molly tank before we moved. Might have to set one up for him and get them breeding if I go with lionfish. Have a 40B just collecting dust in the garage and can look for pregnant females to help kick start the breeding.

Do you ever feed silversides that are stuffed with say pellets?

This is from Lionfish Lair "Silversides are an excellent food since they are easily stuffed with pelletized food, powders such as spirulina, vitamins (C, B6, B12) or beta glucan, etc."

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silversides is a good food and it a great addition to a lions diet. This addition may be a key in feeding dwarf and medium bodied lions a dead diet. There just seems to be something missing and I have yet to see any evidence that dwarf and medium bodied lions have long term success on a dead only diet. Getting them to take a variety to balance their nutrional needs and keeping them interested for the long term seems to be a big challenge, and keeping them from eating krill only. Many keep them a year to a year and a half and because they have such a high mortality rate, people think they have had success. These guys should live 10 to 15 years in our tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back