dwarf or normal seahorses?

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ello folks, I wanna setup a seahorse tank, and I have a simple question with no follow ups of dwarf seahorses or normal ones the "normal ones" I'm looking at are Hippocampus erectus, as I've heard they are the best for beginner seahorse keepers, space and tank size isn't a issue, my main thing is do the dwarf ones have the same quality's as Hippocampus erectus and are they as noticable with there small size? thanks Max

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ello folks, I wanna setup a seahorse tank, and I have a simple question with no follow ups of dwarf seahorses or normal ones the "normal ones" I'm looking at are Hippocampus erectus, as I've heard they are the best for beginner seahorse keepers, space and tank size isn't a issue, my main thing is do the dwarf ones have the same quality's as Hippocampus erectus and are they as noticable with there small size? thanks Max
I have kept erectus and they are more interactive with their owners than dwarf seahorses. I have only had a little experience with dwarf seahorses and in my opinion there is no comparison personality wise. In fact erectus are known even among the other species of greater seahorses as being the most personable.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept erectus and they are more interactive with their owners than dwarf seahorses. I have only had a little experience with dwarf seahorses and in my opinion there is no comparison personality wise. In fact erectus are known even among the other species of greater seahorses as being the most personable.
awesome, I also heard that dwarfs are really hard to take care of, is this correct?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dwarves only eat baby brine or similarly tiny live food sources, someone pls check me on that tho

+1 on the larger seahorses they are a joy to watch and feed. Be warned tho that Happy pairs will spit a lot of babies each month.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dwarves only eat baby brine or similarly tiny live food sources, someone pls check me on that tho

+1 on the larger seahorses they are a joy to watch and feed. Be warned tho that Happy pairs will spit a lot of babies each month.
ok, I planned on going with larger seahorses here is my stocking currently
2 seahorse
one mandarin goby
one aphasia eating tilefish
2 peppermint shrimp
3 snails
it's a 35 gallon display tank with a 10 gallon sump, I'm getting a protein skimmer maid for a 100 gallon heavily stocked tank also

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've heard about the baby's, I hear some people just kill them by running them through there filtration, but I'm to soft to ever do that, is there other ways I can combat this?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about the baby's, I hear some people just kill them by running them through there filtration, but I'm to soft to ever do that, is there other ways I can combat this?
Your plan for a seahorse tank sounds good but be warned that keeping fish with the seahorses increases their chances of getting fatal infections.

As far as seahorse fry are concerned, there are basically 3 options.

Option 1: Raise the fry to sell or give away. I did that once. Out of 20+ fry, I raised 16 successfully to sale-able size which takes 4-6 months. It is a rigorous process which is why I only did it once.

Option 2: Give the fry away for someone else to raise and sale. I also did this but finding a dedicated enough aquarist interested in this every time the seahorses have fry can be a challenge.

Option 3: Let the fry go the way of the sea. Admittedly this option seems harsh but when a mated pair are pumping out 100s of fry every 20 days (and they do) it can be overwhelming trying to do option 1 or find someone else to do option 2.

Seahorses are the most charming of fish but they are demanding in many ways and are not for the casual aquarist.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan for a seahorse tank sounds good but be warned that keeping fish with the seahorses increases their chances of getting fatal infections.

As far as seahorse fry are concerned, there are basically 3 options.

Option 1: Raise the fry to sell or give away. I did that once. Out of 20+ fry, I raised 16 successfully to sale-able size which takes 4-6 months. It is a rigorous process which is why I only did it once.

Option 2: Give the fry away for someone else to raise and sale. I also did this but finding a dedicated enough aquarist interested in this every time the seahorses have fry can be a challenge.

Option 3: Let the fry go the way of the sea. Admittedly this option seems harsh but when a mated pair are pumping out 100s of fry every 20 days (and they do) it can be overwhelming trying to do option 1 or find someone else to do option 2.

Seahorses are the most charming of fish but they are demanding in many ways and are not for the casual aquarist.
I plan on quarantining all fish plants corals etc... for the 76 days, I think I'm going with a 32g biocube, basically because, I know how to plumb a aquarium, and make a stand, and setup a sump, but the sump is a filter sock and a protein skimmer, also I heard people have he at issues with biocubes, is there ways I can combat this? will a fan and keeping my room cooler help? I love where it gets 100 degrees in the summer, so that might be a issue, 2 other questions are pipefish very cool? I like them, but I like the filefish more, and will "letting them go by sea" take a toll on my filtration?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I too have heard that heat is an issue with biocubes. It is very important that the water temperature stay 74°F or lower. You may need to invest in a chiller.

Pipe fish and seahorses are usually ok but I do not know much about filefish.

My filter socks caught the fry and I would empty the socks 4 days after the fry were born. That is a bit of a disturbing chore, but the tank was always fine.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I too have heard that heat is an issue with biocubes. It is very important that the water temperature stay 74°F or lower. You may need to invest in a chiller.

My filter socks caught the fry and I would empty the socks 4 days after the fry were born. That is a bit of a disturbing chore, but the tank was always fine.
I dont think I have the stomach for that, that I'd rough

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is a biocube 29 big enough? I see them alot cheaper then 32s, and I dont care about lighting

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is a biocube 29 big enough? I see them alot cheaper then 32s, and I dont care about lighting
Yes, I believe a 29 gallon can work especially if you have an oversized skimmer and you faithfully do your water changes and tank maintenance, which is keeping detritus siphoned out and all filters cleaned.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I believe a 29 gallon can work especially if you have an oversized skimmer and you faithfully do your water changes and tank maintenance, which is keeping detritus siphoned out and all filters cleaned.
oh, I ment to delete this, checkout my other thread, I moved away from biocubes because of the heating issues they have, I'll post a

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I've read your whole 6 part guide, it was very helpful! I trust people like you a lot more then websites, example I saw something day that seahorses do fine in a 5g tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, I ment to delete this, checkout my other thread, I moved away from biocubes because of the heating issues they have, I'll post a

Actually I just found your new thread. The new tank sounds perfect.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I've read your whole 6 part guide, it was very helpful! I trust people like you a lot more then websites, example I saw something day that seahorses do fine in a 5g tank
Wow, you read ALL of it! Ha ha, well I hope it helps a lot. I learned most of my information from an expert on seahorses at Ocean Rider. I took a free online course by him and it was great and really equipped me to keep seahorses. That is why I bought my 1st pair of ponies from them.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you read ALL of it! Ha ha, well I hope it helps a lot. I learned most of my information from an expert on seahorses at Ocean Rider. I took a free online course by him and it was great and really equipped me to keep seahorses. That is why I bought my 1st pair of ponies from them.
it really did, I appreciate you writing all that

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing! I was hoping so, is the hob equitment ok? I figured I would be fine without a sump since I'm doing equitment that's made for 2 to 3 times the water volume
Yes a hob aquaclear is fine as long as you change the filter media every week without fail. Otherwise pathogenic bacteria will grow there and possibly cause fatal infections in your seahorses.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back