OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a hob aquaclear is fine as long as you change the filter media every week without fail. Otherwise pathogenic bacteria will grow there and possibly cause fatal infections in your seahorses.
is my plan for doing half a cube in the morning, and half a cube in the afternoon work?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarfs are tiny and very difficult to maintain. If you have a tank meant for an erectus then odds are you won’t enjoy the dwarfs in the same size tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is my plan for doing half a cube in the morning, and half a cube in the afternoon work?
I get that you are a student and need to feed and leave but if the ponies do not eat most of the mysis and it lays in the tank for any duration, then the dangerous bacteria can start to grow in/on the mysis and if a pony consumes it later that day, there is a chance that the seahorse can get an infection in the gut. They can die pretty quick from those before you even realize that they are sick, since there are no Mark's on their skin.

If you can set the tray where peppermint shrimp can clean up the left overs that could help. However sometimes the peppermint shrimp get so bold that they eat the mysis before the seahorses which is a problem too.

Maybe try it and see how fast the seahorses eat the mysis. Some ponies gobble their food and then other ponies are slow picky eaters. Hopefully you will have gobblers!

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that you are a student and need to feed and leave but if the ponies do not eat most of the mysis and it lays in the tank for any duration, then the dangerous bacteria can start to grow in/on the mysis and if a pony consumes it later that day, there is a chance that the seahorse can get an infection in the gut. They can die pretty quick from those before you even realize that they are sick, since there are no Mark's on their skin.

If you can set the tray where peppermint shrimp can clean up the left overs that could help. However sometimes the peppermint shrimp get so bold that they eat the mysis before the seahorses which is a problem too.

Maybe try it and see how fast the seahorses eat the mysis. Some ponies gobble their food and then other ponies are slow picky eaters. Hopefully you will have gobblers!
ok, what I plan on doing is adding seahorses the tank in the summer, I'll be home more, and can see how they eat, also, I heard people advice doing a species only tank, could Maybe still put a aphasia rating filefish? I plan on quarantining all animals, or would you say that since I'm a beginner I do species only?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, what I plan on doing is adding seahorses the tank in the summer, I'll be home more, and can see how they eat, also, I heard people advice doing a species only tank, could Maybe still put a aphasia rating filefish? I plan on quarantining all animals, or would you say that since I'm a beginner I do species only?
A species only tank is by far the way to reduce risks. Every seahorse keeper must assess how much risk they are willing to take.
A cool bare bottom tank in the low 70°F (with over the top filtration that is maintained rigorously) with only seahorses is definitely the least risky. My last seahorse was in with fish because he was suppose to go to a home and that fell through. He eventually succumbed to air bubble disease.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A species only tank is by far the way to reduce risks. Every seahorse keeper must assess how much risk they are willing to take.
A cool bare bottom tank in the low 70°F (with over the top filtration that is maintained rigorously) with only seahorses is definitely the least risky. My last seahorse was in with fish because he was suppose to go to a home and that fell through. He eventually succumbed to air bubble disease.
kk, I'll do species only, which brings me to my last question, atleast for now, how should I produce as much air possible in the water, I was thinking a bubbling air stone thing like I have in my goldfish tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kk, I'll do species only, which brings me to my last question, atleast for now, how should I produce as much air possible in the water, I was thinking a bubbling air stone thing like I have in my goldfish tank
Actually just an open airline tube with no stone is perfect.

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about the baby's, I hear some people just kill them by running them through there filtration, but I'm to soft to ever do that, is there other ways I can combat this?
Get two females... they will still dance and will drop the eggs. Less chance of having a male have pouch problems too.
Also good to rinse the cube before feeding.
I had a tube that ran down inside the tank that went to a deep shell for their trough. They would watch the food go down waiting at the bottom.
ps... just gave up on the dwarfs myself... erectus definitely better

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two females... they will still dance and will drop the eggs. Less chance of having a male have pouch problems too.
Also good to rinse the cube before feeding.
I had a tube that ran down inside the tank that went to a deep shell for their trough. They would watch the food go down waiting at the bottom.
ps... just gave up on the dwarfs myself... erectus definitely better
I'm doing erectus for sure, also I'll make a note about the females, thanks!

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
here is everything I am doing currently
stock list
2 erectus seahorses
2 peppermint shrimp (maybe more idk yet)
clean up crew of snails only

equitment list
30g 24x12x24
aquaclear 60-100g hob filter
aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer
2 300g powerheads for extra flow
a diy feeding cup
a rigid tubing connected to a air pump

doing 12 percent water changes every week
filter media carbon, pond matrix, sponge

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a caution: make sure what ever powerhead that you choose is either covered with netting or wedding veil or it comes with a tight enough grate that the ponies can not hitch on it and have their tails injured by the impeller.

Female pair is a good way to prevent dealing with fry. In general, female seahorses have less health issues and they do still dance so that you do not miss out on that.

PS I applaud you for all the research that you are doing before you get your seahorses!

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a caution: make sure what ever powerhead that you choose is either covered with netting or wedding veil or it comes with a tight enough grate that the ponies can not hitch on it and have their tails injured by the impeller.

Female pair is a good way to prevent dealing with fry. In general, female seahorses have less health issues and they do still dance so that you do not miss out on that.

PS I applaud you for all the research that you are doing before you get your seahorses!
first, Thank you for the compliment! I'm really trying to make sure I'm not just gonna murder 2 seahorses, also the powerheads I plan on using are the hydro nano 240gph, and I was gonna put a sponge or a screen door material over it, and then with the females, I'll do that, especially for the health conditions that males can have, I want to thank you for being so helpful and putting time in to help me!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back