Dwarf or Normal

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I have had dwarf seahorses before and they lived roughly 4-6 month span some females died quicker. I was however feeding live bbs enriched with Selcon. I have a sexy shrimp still in the tank and hermit crabs. Throughout the lifespan of the dwarf seahorses I dealt with many hydroid buddings that infiltrated my tank. From taking over my small live rock to the back filter area. Eventually the dwarves died however none had red marks or sting looking problems. Once I stopped feeding the tank live bbs the buddings died off after a couple weeks. I’m just curious if there are any steps I can take to prevent this takeover in my tank if I add dwarves in the future or if I should turn to normal seahorses?
Thank you in Advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had dwarf seahorses before and they lived roughly 4-6 month span some females died quicker. I was however feeding live bbs enriched with Selcon. I have a sexy shrimp still in the tank and hermit crabs. Throughout the lifespan of the dwarf seahorses I dealt with many hydroid buddings that infiltrated my tank. From taking over my small live rock to the back filter area. Eventually the dwarves died however none had red marks or sting looking problems. Once I stopped feeding the tank live bbs the buddings died off after a couple weeks. I’m just curious if there are any steps I can take to prevent this takeover in my tank if I add dwarves in the future or if I should turn to normal seahorses?
Thank you in Advance

Hi, I've found that dwarf seahorses can be more delicate than larger seahorse species, and captive raised seahorses are typically hardier than wild caught ones (like most dwarfs are).

Hydroids can be a huge issue in seahorse tanks being fed live baby brine. You can control those with chloroquine, but that drug needs to be dosed very carefully. If you choose to go that route, here is an article I wrote some time ago about that:

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I've found that dwarf seahorses can be more delicate than larger seahorse species, and captive raised seahorses are typically hardier than wild caught ones (like most dwarfs are).

Hydroids can be a huge issue in seahorse tanks being fed live baby brine. You can control those with chloroquine, but that drug needs to be dosed very carefully. If you choose to go that route, here is an article I wrote some time ago about that:

Jay
Would you recommend to take this route or ShOUld I find captive raised normal seahorses that I can possibly feed frozen.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend to take this route or ShOUld I find captive raised normal seahorses that I can possibly feed frozen.

I do think that captive raised seahorses that have been trained to accept frozen foods are your best bet.

Using chloroquine is risky, can you remove the hydroids manually? Then, if you aren't feeding live baby brine, they should go away on their own.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do think that captive raised seahorses that have been trained to accept frozen foods are your best bet.

Using chloroquine is risky, can you remove the hydroids manually? Then, if you aren't feeding live baby brine, they should go away on their own.

Jay
Yes for now TBEY have disappeared because I stopped feeding the tank live bbs . I plan to check the LFS this week and see what they have! Any tips or recommendations when caring for seahorses versus the dwarves?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for now TBEY have disappeared because I stopped feeding the tank live bbs . I plan to check the LFS this week and see what they have! Any tips or recommendations when caring for seahorses versus the dwarves?
I like to avoid males - they can develop gas embolisms in their pouches.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to avoid males - they can develop gas embolisms in their pouches.

Jay
The local fish store has 2 in stock, should I go with 1 female for now and see how she does? Will she be depressed alone?

Thank you for this advice

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local fish store has 2 in stock, should I go with 1 female for now and see how she does? Will she be depressed alone?

Thank you for this advice
No issue at all with just keeping one.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any fish I could add or clean up crew besides the few hermit crabs I have?
Very small hermits are O.K. Snails are all safe. Sea urchins are ok.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hel
Very small hermits are O.K. Snails are all safe. Sea urchins are ok.

Jay
Hello sorry to bother recently purchased a Juvenile lined seahorse Today that’s eating frozen. I had the option to get an adult but I thought. Would have better luck with a young one instead. It is a female approximately 2.5 HAVENT seen it eat yet. 1.020 salinity and 8.0 Ph with 77 degrees. Should I aim for lower temperatures?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hel

Hello sorry to bother recently purchased a Juvenile lined seahorse Today that’s eating frozen. I had the option to get an adult but I thought. Would have better luck with a young one instead. It is a female approximately 2.5 HAVENT seen it eat yet. 1.020 salinity and 8.0 Ph with 77 degrees. Should I aim for lower temperatures?

I think 75 to 77 degrees is just fine. Make sure you are offering the same food as it was eating and then give it a day or two to settle in.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think 75 to 77 degrees is just fine. Make sure you are offering the same food as it was eating and then give it a day or two to settle in.

Jay
Supposedly it was eating mini mysis and haven’t seen it yet to eat one. It looks curious when I added the frozen in the tank but DIDJT eat it. I am scared to try live bbs if it likes it to much ‍♂️

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly it was eating mini mysis and haven’t seen it yet to eat one. It looks curious when I added the frozen in the tank but DIDJT eat it. I am scared to try live bbs if it likes it to much ‍♂️
Yes, live brine could put it off frozen foods.

Does you tank have sand in it? I put a small glass dish in tanks with sand or gravel and then use a pipet to put the mysids there. That way, the seahorse can clearly see the food and won’t accidentally suck up any sand.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, live brine could put it off frozen foods.

Does you tank have sand in it? I put a small glass dish in tanks with sand or gravel and then use a pipet to put the mysids there. That way, the seahorse can clearly see the food and won’t accidentally suck up any sand.

Jay
That is good idea I have a area of tank where the food just sits and I can put a white little dish and pipet to the dish? I hope it eats I tried feeding it twice today once at 9:30 once at 12:45 I will try again soon. I only added 4-7 shrimp each time because I do have a mandarin as well.
I appreciate the quick response. I got this girl yesterday and she has moved on to different hitches 4-5 times. I feel I am watching to much :0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good idea I have a area of tank where the food just sits and I can put a white little dish and pipet to the dish? I hope it eats I tried feeding it twice today once at 9:30 once at 12:45 I will try again soon. I only added 4-7 shrimp each time because I do have a mandarin as well.
I appreciate the quick response. I got this girl yesterday and she has moved on to different hitches 4-5 times. I feel I am watching to much :0

And, you don't want it to be too nervous from you watching too closely to see if it eats - you can usually see a seahorse's head "snick" when they eat from a few feet away, so no need to get too close and frighten it.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i stepped away from the tank and I watched the sehaorse get very curious about the frozen mysis but I did not see it eat. I also saw it swim towards the floor after and WATXH the sand I tried the dish with shrimp and got no reaction I will just feed and one more time tonight and try again tomorrow, before I give it live bbs !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back