dwarf zebra lion

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone cared for lionfishes before? I got a dwarf zebra lion and i'll need some care instructions for it. I'm guessing live food is what they care for but is there anything else?

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always try and get my lions to start feeding on frozen foods like shrimp or silversides. i have had the best luck with the predetor formula from rod's

jascymcl

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all don't feed them goldfish, goldfish are amonia bombs and will kill your lions eventually. I have taught mine to eat dry krill very easaly.To the point that I just toss the krill in the tank and they will come and chow down.Smaller lions are easier to teach.First I will feed them live food if they are 2 week until they r heathy.Then I will grab the krill put the dried shrimp on a very thin wire (perferably stainless steel),and wiggle it in front of him. If he does not react to it (DONT FEED HIM FOR A DAY OR 2) and repeat the wire process.He will react when he is nice and hungry.Then feed him like this every other day until he reacts very quickly.Then BOOM you just toss the dried krill in his tank and he will react to them with out the wire. Some eat quicker than others.

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all don't feed them goldfish, goldfish are amonia bombs and will kill your lions eventually. I have taught mine to eat dry krill very easaly.To the point that I just toss the krill in the tank and they will come and chow down.Smaller lions are easier to teach.First I will feed them live food if they are 2 week until they r heathy.Then I will grab the krill put the dried shrimp on a very thin wire (perferably stainless steel),and wiggle it in front of him. If he does not react to it (DONT FEED HIM FOR A DAY OR 2) and repeat the wire process.He will react when he is nice and hungry.Then feed him like this every other day until he reacts very quickly.Then BOOM you just toss the dried krill in his tank and he will react to them with out the wire. Some eat quicker than others.

my lion won't come out during the day, is that normal? What kind of live food did you feed ur lion?

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on not feeding goldfish! actually,..... any type of freshwater fish! i just toss a small "wounded" chromis or damsel in twice a week and watch nature take it course!

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh!!! tiny lil bugger! lol!!!! id go with the krill for now... hahaha

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bro, i had a lionfish. fed um live opae and the small brackish guppies from moderns! (but i was hardcore and injected the guppies with selcon usiing a super small syringe) my friends dad is diabetic and was more than willing to give me a brand new in wrap syringe.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Fuzzy Dwarf Krill and Silversides, every couple of days. You can train them to take the food from tongs. I usually just dump it in the tank, near where they are.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a fuzzy dwarf, zebra and a fu-man chu all in the same tank for over a year they were like best buddys. Mine would eat everything from ghost shrimp, krill, silversides, formula one cubes and the best was when they started to eat flakes. All three of mine were very active and swam around all day. What kind of lighting is over the tank? I rember hearing they dont like high amounts of light. Heres a pic of mine. I miss my lions:(
zebra3.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Dwarfs...I had a total yellow fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish. One day I will have a fish only tank for lions...I really would like a Blackfoote Lionfish again as well. I had Vio that was 16" that I grew from 1 1/2" he would eat from my hand and let me pet under it's chin.....What happend to your lions?

Last edited:

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some kind of eye infection. I believe a pygmy angle brought something into my tank.. Best pic i have of all 3
DSC00902.jpg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat anything that moves...and that's the key--making stuff move. I feed a lot of frozen food, make sure to keep the powerheads ON when feeding so the stuff you feed has the illusion of moving around the tank.

Like anything else in the hobby, try to vary the diet. Silversides, Mysis, Brine, etc. I've heard bad stuff about krill but I honestly don't remember what it was!

Also, you could just go to the frozen food section of the supermarket and get a bag of mixed seafood and blend it up for some additional treats.

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bro, i had a lionfish. fed um live opae and the small brackish guppies from moderns! (but i was hardcore and injected the guppies with selcon usiing a super small syringe) my friends dad is diabetic and was more than willing to give me a brand new in wrap syringe.

what the selcon for secret?

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a fuzzy dwarf, zebra and a fu-man chu all in the same tank for over a year they were like best buddys. Mine would eat everything from ghost shrimp, krill, silversides, formula one cubes and the best was when they started to eat flakes. All three of mine were very active and swam around all day. What kind of lighting is over the tank? I rember hearing they dont like high amounts of light. Heres a pic of mine. I miss my lions:(

I have T5 lighting in my tank at about 320w for a 120G tank. My lion mostly will come out at night and if I see it during the day, it'd be stationary on a rock. If i tried feeding it frozen foods the other fish with hit it before i get even close to the lion.

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i probably should have done first is leave the lion in a specimen container and feed it for a week or two first before letting go in tank...:sad:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat anything that moves...and that's the key--making stuff move. I feed a lot of frozen food, make sure to keep the powerheads ON when feeding so the stuff you feed has the illusion of moving around the tank.

Like anything else in the hobby, try to vary the diet. Silversides, Mysis, Brine, etc. I've heard bad stuff about krill but I honestly don't remember what it was!

Also, you could just go to the frozen food section of the supermarket and get a bag of mixed seafood and blend it up for some additional treats.

Krill is how I killed my Yellow Dwarf.....I fed him and he was fat and happy there was about 3-4 smallish pieces of krill on the bottom of the tank. I was on my way out for work and when I got home I found him dead on the bottom of the tank and a whole mess of krill regurgitated all over the tank...He even had some stuck in his mouth.....From what it looked like he over ate and puked it all back up and got some stuck in his throat and died.......I was so ****** and saddened by that loss...I looked for a year for a specimen that was a quality as he was. Even had a on-line site hand pick it for me.......That is a nice looking group of Lionfish you had....:(

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill is how I killed my Yellow Dwarf.....I fed him and he was fat and happy there was about 3-4 smallish pieces of krill on the bottom of the tank. I was on my way out for work and when I got home I found him dead on the bottom of the tank and a whole mess of krill regurgitated all over the tank...He even had some stuck in his mouth.....From what it looked like he over ate and puked it all back up and got some stuck in his throat and died.......I was so ****** and saddened by that loss...I looked for a year for a specimen that was a quality as he was. Even had a on-line site hand pick it for me.......That is a nice looking group of Lionfish you had....:(

They will certainly eat themselves to death. I saw one in a LFS here that had another dwarf lionfish in its mouth that was about the same size! Luckily I got the staff to remove it and they were thankful I let them know.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back