DWV PVC Pipe for reef tanks

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DWV piping is used for drainage applications such as your sewer lines. It is not rated for pressure applications. HOWEVER it is hard to call our reef piping a pressure application when we rarely exceed 5psi (unless you are pumping from your basement to your first floor then you are a bit higher). The only difference i can see between DWV and normal PVC fittings is that the bonding length is shorter. So eye balling with a normal 90 elbow it appears that you have half the bonding depth for joining elbows to PVC pipe.

And the elbows are long sweep which means less pressure drop. Has anyone used this for all of their reefing plumbing needs?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other considerations with DWV are that it’s generally ABS, not PVC so you have to use either ABS cement or transition cement if you’re gluing ABS to PVC. Also, since the joints are thinner and shorter and because ABS isn’t as strong as PVC your pluming will be more prone to cracking if it’s not properly supported.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used 3" and 4" diameter to make Griggs style CO2 reactors for freshwater planted tanks. Works fine with up to 6 ft of head pressure.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ABS vs PVC must be a regional thing. Here almost every new home uses PVC drain pipe/fittings.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the DWV fittings in my area are PVC. As noted, the problem with them is that the gluing 'shoulder' is very shallow so they don't handle pressure well, thus the DWV designation :D. Most of the flex PVC suppliers say explicitly to not use them for this reason. Regardless, I do actually use DWV fittings, particularly the sweep elbows, for drains, but I don't use them for pressure returns. Just make sure to solvent weld the joins well and support them with hangers as necessary.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other considerations with DWV are that it’s generally ABS, not PVC so you have to use either ABS cement or transition cement if you’re gluing ABS to PVC. Also, since the joints are thinner and shorter and because ABS isn’t as strong as PVC your pluming will be more prone to cracking if it’s not properly supported.
Hi, the DWV I am looking at is PVC so this is not a concern. But you are correct that "welding" ABS is not fast nor as good of a bond.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the DWV fittings in my area are PVC. As noted, the problem with them is that the gluing 'shoulder' is very shallow so they don't handle pressure well, thus the DWV designation :D. Most of the flex PVC suppliers say explicitly to not use them for this reason. Regardless, I do actually use DWV fittings, particularly the sweep elbows, for drains, but I don't use them for pressure returns. Just make sure to solvent weld the joins well and support them with hangers as necessary.
Those sweeping elbows are great..........thus the reason i like them......I am going to do some strength testing with an elbow to try out!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if you are not adverse to the grey color, I have used PVC conduit as returns. Same sweep elbows with a deeper gluing 'shoulder'. Flex PVC works really well too to avoid sharp elbows.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if you are not adverse to the grey color, I have used PVC conduit as returns. Same sweep elbows with a deeper gluing 'shoulder'. Flex PVC works really well too to avoid sharp elbows.

Cool idea!!!!! I will think more about this....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back