DYI 40G Breeder or Packaged solution.

SaltTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, started saltwater hobby little over a year ago with a Fluval AIO Evo 13.5gallon. The tank has been fun and a success and I want to start my next project. I have lots experience with breeding fish and shrimp along with drilling tanks.

I'm thinking of an ~40gallon display and will want a sump solution. I'd like to have solution that is quiet, efficient, reliable and affordable. Planning to keep fish, softies, LPS and some SPS. I don't mind doing the plumbing to assemble a solution even to making a sump from existing 10, 15 or 20 gallon tanks that I have available.

I've already purchased (2) AI Prime lights.

If I get an Aqueon 40g Breeder and add an overflow and sump, could it perform as well as a Red Sea Reefer solution such as Reefer XL 200 G2 System or some other provider like WaterBox, Fiji cube and etc. I see RS says that their solution once tuned is silent not even a trickle. Is that possible with a DYI and if so are there any recommendations on how best to construct with which parts? Right now I can get the 40G tank and stand for less than $225. I have the lights already ordered that would work with either solution. Just trying to justify if purchasing a packaged solution such as the RS Reefer is better than compiling parts and custom building hopefully cheaper and overall better.

Example:
Reefer XL 200 G2 System (42 Gal)

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks can be very important of course, but that's about the only thing other than convenience those package deals have over a well planned setup you put together yourself :)

I see RS says that their solution once tuned is silent not even a trickle. Is that possible with a DYI and if so are there any recommendations on how best to construct with which parts?
Absolutely, you can make or purchase something better than the overflows and drain systems many kit tanks come with.

Right now I can get the 40G tank and stand for less than $225.
It's not crazy, but it also doesn't sound like a great deal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back